Volvo 125/270

perkak

Recruit
I recently acquired my fathers boat after his death. It's a mid 80's Seasport Pilot with the Volvo 125/270's. One side has a broken "U" joint in the outdrive. Having a hard time getting the hinge pins out to seperate the outdrive from the motor. One came out easy, the other I can't get out even with an air hammer. Any suggestions. The other side was done and the pins were replace with the type you can thread a bolt and slide hammer on. Any help would be great. Thanks

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Volvo 125/270

After using an air hammer, the pin is probably swelled out on the end so you can't move it. You could use heat to melt out the plastic bushing on the drive side of the pin, and use a long punch to drive the pin out from the far side after removeing the helmut and hen useing "LOTS" of heat from an Oxy/Acetelene torch, (propane will NOT get it hot enough)on the transom sheild side where the pin is swelled in place and hopeing for the best. Really hard to say without being able to see it.<br />In the future, ujoint repairs, bellows replacements, removing the engine etc. can all be done by only removing the upper gear box, not the compete drive.