Volvo 275 ?'s

ddoty

Cadet
First off I would like to thank all who reply in advance for the help and knowledge. I just bought a boat powered by a Volvo 131 with a 275 outdrive. There are a couple of problems and they are all contained in the transom shield. First the tips of the ears that holds the pin that the out drive rests against (when lowered) are broken off. Second the shield has a crack in the boss that the tilt motor runs through. These are probably related some how. I though about just using a transom saver when towing the boat to keep the pressure off of the tilt motor and shield, but that is just a bandaid. I would like to replace the shield and install new bellows while I am at it. How hard is this to do and where is a good source for parts? I worked and was schooled as an auto tech, so I am not too stressed at this point. I have just never removed an outdrive or the like.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Volvo 275 ?'s

The transom shield comes out fairly easy, once you get the outdrive off, tilt mechanism out, the exhaust tube disconnected and the engine out.<br />There are lots of online places to buy parts, dougrussell.com is one of them, or you can get one from your local Volvo Penta dealer.<br />If you plan on attempting the job, get a service manual before you do anything......and don't even think that a Clymers will answer any questions. A Seloc would be second to Volvo manuals.<br />Again, see your dealer.

f_inscreenname

Commander

Lots of work that must be done. My guess that the tilt motor wasn't all the way down when someone put it in gear and took off. Slam, down came the drive and broke the shield. Everything Don spoke of will have to be done to get the shield off and replaced. If going through all the work you may want to consider replacing the shield and drive with one that has “trim”.

ddoty

Cadet

I might be interrested in going with one that has trim also. Being new to I/O, I would have no idea what parts would interchange. I imagine that most of the older Volvo shields are the same. Like the 270,275,280. I would appreciate some input in that area.

f_inscreenname

Commander

The 270, 280 and 290 are interchangeable anything else and you are putting a transom in the boat.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

SOME of the 270's thru 280's were the same style transom shield, but not the 290's. <br />They have a different cutout (larger) than the ones without trim. Stay away from the old trim systems on the 270-280 drives. Hard to work on, parts really hard to find.<br />There are even some differences in the exhaust ports on the 270-280 shields, some had single reliefs, and some had double. You could end up having to change the exhaust Y also, and that could change even more things.

ddoty

Cadet

Well, I bought a shield from a AQ125? with a 270 outdrive. It is in great shape and I think I am going to put it in. Also I purchaced the Seloc online manual, and that was a mistake. I can't find torque values anywhere. I am concerned about the shield to transom attaching bolts. Any help?