AQ125B Engine Swap with a Marinized B230 Auto Engine from 92 Volvo 240

Status
Not open for further replies.

dennis461

Chief Petty Officer
Re: AQ125B Engine Swap with a Marinized B230 Auto Engine from 92 Volvo 240

The balance shaft as you call it is not a balance shaft and only drives the distributor so its alignment is not critical. I thought the cam pulley lines up with a mark on the valve cover does it not?

What is DTDC? If you meant BTDC, 30? is not correct. I wonder if you are measuring it correctly.

Yes BTDC,
There is NO mark on my valve cover.

The mechanic just here called it a balance shaft, maybe it is not on this model year engine (not a 16 valve engine).
I know 30 degrees is not correct, and the dist was all the wayclockwise when it seemed the adjustment bolts should have been mid travel.
But agin, it would NOT run at 10 degrees so I started taking it apart.
The dampener seems to be soild, not slipped as others have described.

Thus one or two belt teeth off with the balance/distributer drive gear means off by around 1/2 tooth on the dristibuter drive.
Which would explain why I could not set the dist in in mid travel.

Anyhow, got all lined up now putting a new belt on tommorrow.
I'm debating drilling a hole in the raw water pump mount cover so I can see the timing mark without tearing all apart again.

paperklip, have you found all the timing marks you need?

paperklip

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The mechanic just here called it a balance shaft, maybe it is not on this model year engine (not a 16 valve engine).

The service manual refers to it as the "intermediate shaft".

paperklip, have you found all the timing marks you need?

Yes. The valve cover didn't have a mark, but you just line up the cam mark to the top-center of the cover. The intermediate has a mark on the flange plate and the gear wheel. The crank also has marks on the flange plate, gear wheel guide plate, and on the primary pulley. There are degree markings on the raw water pump assembly that replace those otherwise found on the auto timing belt cover. Those are for lining up with the primary pulley mark.

paperklip

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Browsed the hoses at autozone and picked a couple I could cut in half for my exchanger. I then mocked it up and started the fab on the mounting brackets.

IMG_0215.jpg

This one mounts to the exhaust manifold on the starboard side.

IMG_0221.jpg

IMG_0220.jpg

I'm still working on the port side mount.

IMG_0222.jpg

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Thus one or two belt teeth off with the balance/distributer drive gear means off by around 1/2 tooth on the dristibuter drive.
Which would explain why I could not set the dist in in mid travel.
That makes sense. I forgot the distributor on those don't have the same clamp arrangement as a GM engine. You should be able to restab the distributor though.

paperklip

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I think I need a mechanical oil pressure sender, that's what the old engine had. The auto engine had an electronic one. Anyone know? And where would I get that?

RogersJetboat454

Commander

I think I need a mechanical oil pressure sender, that's what the old engine had. The auto engine had an electronic one. Anyone know? And where would I get that?

Most of the mechanical oil pressure "senders" I have seen are brass fitting to one of oil galleys with a nylon oil line running directly to the gage.
These are usually pretty accurate, but you risk the chance of the chincey nylon line breaking, and leaking engine oil in an area where you may not see it happening.

If I were you sir, I would be using an electric sending unit. It's what 99.5% of the boats out there are using.

paperklip

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If I were you sir, I would be using an electric sending unit. It's what 99.5% of the boats out there are using.

I'm definitely on-board with that. Sorry when I said the original boat sender was mechanical, I didn't mean that style. It is still "electric", in that it has a wire going to the gauge, but it's much larger than the auto one. Here's a pic:

IMG_0223.jpg

On the left, the black plug-in style is what came with the auto engine (still installed). On the right, the rusty cylinder style is what was on the boat, and it was in the hex plug that I'm holding it next to. It then had a wire connected to the nut on the end.

Can I use the auto one here? and if so will I need a new gauge? (It's the original oil pressure gauge that the boat came with)

RogersJetboat454

Commander

I'm definitely on-board with that. Sorry when I said the original boat sender was mechanical, I didn't mean that style. It is still "electric", in that it has a wire going to the gauge, but it's much larger than the auto one.

On the left, the black plug-in style is what came with the auto engine (still installed). On the right, the rusty cylinder style is what was on the boat, and it was in the hex plug that I'm holding it next to. It then had a wire connected to the nut on the end.

Can I use the auto one here? and if so will I need a new gauge? (It's the original oil pressure gauge that the boat came with)

The one on the left is probably for the idiot light on the dash (just an on/off switch that grounds the light). The big rusty guy is a variable resistor. You need a big one like the one on the right to make it work. If you don't like the location, you may be able to adapt the new one to fit where the one for the idiot light went.

paperklip

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok thanks. I guess I just need to know the proper PSI range for the variable resistor. It seems they come in 60, 80, 100 etc.

RogersJetboat454

Commander

I would just match it with the limit on the gage...

paperklip

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Installed the hot spark electronic ignition. Installed the Oil Pressure Sensor. Added oil and coolant, (there's a leak on the thermostat housing gasket that I'm fixing now). I wired the engine, setup a raw water line, and rigged a bucket under the exhaust for running on the stand. Once I get this leak fixed and buy some cheapo temp and oil gauges, I'll fire her up.

aMG_0246.jpg

I cut open the ends of a fender and used it to plumb the exhaust to the pvc:

aMG_0247.jpg

The wiring to start it is pretty simple. Touch white and blue wires to "turn on", and touch black wire to 12V to "turn over". The small green wires are for temp and oil gauges.

aMG_0248.jpg

The leak:

aMG_0250.jpg

wellcraft19

Petty Officer 1st Class

Looking good, getting closer.
See you are not using any AF during the test run (at least not visible in the leak photo).

When running, I'd put a small sheet over the bucket, since you otherwise will have splashed "exhaust" water all over.

I think I somewhere saved a link for where you did find that H/E set-up (but please post it again if you can). Looks good and a decent alternative to the VP OEM of same vintage.

paperklip

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Looking good, getting closer.
See you are not using any AF during the test run (at least not visible in the leak photo).
Thanks. I did use a 50/50 mixture, adding a quart of water then a quart of AF, etc. Internally it's not quite mixed yet (I guess) and that picture just looks like water.

I think I somewhere saved a link for where you did find that H/E set-up (but please post it again if you can). Looks good and a decent alternative to the VP OEM of same vintage.

Check this post from Page 2.

paperklip

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Today, started the engine for the first time! She fired right up! Before timing adjustment:

paperklip

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Here it is after timing adjustment:

Mullin

Petty Officer 1st Class

Wow, really nice paperklip. Nice easy start and runs smooth too.

So is the rest of the boat ready for the motor? You're going to have to leave the motor cover off to show off this beauty!

paperklip

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Wow, really nice paperklip. Nice easy start and runs smooth too. So is the rest of the boat ready for the motor? You're going to have to leave the motor cover off to show off this beauty!

Thanks! I only need to paint the bilge. It's all prepped and ready to go, I just need to apply the interlux bilgekoat.

wellcraft19

Petty Officer 1st Class

Agree, good to see this one running. Really like the RED wingnuts on top of the flame arrestor:D.

More and more I also like this heat exchanger. Thanks for the link above. Guess I have to sign up for the Bayliner forum (that will hurt though...) to see/read all about it.

Also noted you added cross braces to the engine stand. Wise!

Good luck with the rest of the project. You will have a gem under that engine cowl, almost too sad to cover it up...

Mullin

Petty Officer 1st Class

Cool. So are you just waiting on gauges to make sure you have proper temps and pressures? And it's ready to go in right?

Status
Not open for further replies.