Need help with starter/solenoid Volvo Penta 4.3L GS

Status
Not open for further replies.

jazj1993

Cadet
I was on the water and shut off my motor. Sat for 10 min and went to fire it back up and nothing; no clicking, no engine turning, etc.
After "on water" attempts to diagnose and fix we got dragged back in. As for research, first thing I did was search this site, this may have been the only thing I have done right so far.
I checked the voltage and amperage of the battery. 12+V and 800+CCA.
I checked the Ignition switch. Proper function thru the On and Start sequence for the on and start posts.
The Fuel pump starts pumping in the Start position.
I checked the 15 amp fuse in the fuse block. Not blown.
I checked the 50 amp fuses. Still engaged
Checked the relay plug. The 12 V reads in the plug are proper. However I am not sure how to test what the relay is actually doing because during operation it is in the plug. I can hear a single click from this relay when in the Start position.
I checked the starter.... I think the issue might be in the solenoid. Here are the results from key in On position and in Start position:

Battery side large terminal "A" - 12V all the time
Small terminal "B" (Clockwise from A) - no voltage at any time
Starter side terminal "C" (Clockwise from B)- no voltage at any time
Small terminal clockwise from Starter side terminal "D" (Clockwise from C)- 12 V at all time.

After doing this, I removed the starter (no easy task) and had it bench mount tested. Worked fine. Reinstalled the starter (no easy task) and still got the same results as above.

I have not tried to "Jump" the wires across B and C as recommended in other posts on this forum to try and start the motor, it seems like an easy enough task, I am just not comfortable doing this.

My question is... Does this look like a classic solenoid failure or a relay failure? Or is ther another "kill circuit" that I don't know about?

Jason

jazj1993

Cadet
Re: Need help with starter/solenoid Volvo Penta 4.3L GS

Yes. That is the helpful thread that allowed me to get most of the data in my original post. Thanks.

4.3gl pwtr

Last edited:

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

What you need to do is check the yellow/red wire on the starter solenoid terminal B. Hook a test light to. Then turn the key to start and see if it lights. If it doesn't light, remove the relay and check the 30 terminal for voltage. If you have voltage, replace the relay.

jazj1993

Cadet

I have 12V at terminal 30 in the plug. I have the relay in hand and will get a new one and try it out. I was in the ballpark and really appreciate your help to zero in on where I should start.

Don S

Those relays are like solenoids, they can click, but not make connection inside.

jazj1993

Cadet

The solenoid was it. Thanks for your help. We will be on the water soon. This forum is an EXCELLENT resource.

EdTor

Recruit
I have been checking out this thread and the one that this links too. I am at a point of confusion, I have a Volvo Penta 3.0 and have gotten all the way to the Relay terminal c and no voltage when ignition switch is put in start position or at the starter solenoid small terminal. It says to head to either the kill switch or neutral safety switch. I have an audible alarm when starting as long as the kill switch is properly connected, should i assume the kill switch is good and look at neutral safety switch first? The boat will start and run if I jump the starter solenoid.

GA_Boater

I have been checking out this thread and the one that this links too. I am at a point of confusion, I have a Volvo Penta 3.0 and have gotten all the way to the Relay terminal c and no voltage when ignition switch is put in start position or at the starter solenoid small terminal. It says to head to either the kill switch or neutral safety switch. I have an audible alarm when starting as long as the kill switch is properly connected, should i assume the kill switch is good and look at neutral safety switch first? The boat will start and run if I jump the starter solenoid.

Old, inactive and closed. Start a new thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.