3.0 Volvo Penta running issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

tcbailey45

Recruit
My Dad and I have an 04 Glastron 175 SX that is having some issues. The boat is difficult to start but also runs very very slow at WOT. By slow we are talking maybe 10 mph. After running for about 5 minutes or so it shuts down and will not restart for another 15 minutes. The temp guage doesn't show that its getting hot nor does it feel overly hot so I'm confused about it not restarting. I've read through some other post and it sounds like maybe a fuel issue but the restarting problem has me a bit concerned that it could be something else as well. Should I start with rebuilding the carb? If so how difficult of a job is that for someone semi-mechanical or should I just take it to a shop? Also is there a specific rebuild kit that someone could recommend? Thanks!

2004 Glastron SX 175
3.0 GLM-B

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 3.0 Volvo Penta running issues

When it doesn't start, do you have spark? Is the engine cranking at normal speed when you try to start it? Slow speed will keep it from starting.

tcbailey45

Recruit

It does have spark but the engine sounds like its a longer drawn out crank. If that makes sense?

Glastron175

Seaman

I would suggest a re-new kit for your Holley carb. Be sure and get a Holley kit. I have read elsewheres that the Sierra kit often does not fix the problems that the Holley kit will fix.

gibby86

Cadet

I had the same problem with my 2004 caravelle 3.0 glm-b. I replaced my ignition module under the distributor cap. I went to my local auto parts store and picked it up for $40 and it solved my problem.

tcbailey45

Recruit

Thanks guys! I have someone rebuilding the carb right now so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that will fix it. If not I will look into the ignition module. We are hoping to take it out this weekend so I will update you then. Thanks again.

tcbailey45

Recruit

After the carb rebuild it's still very hard to start! It seemed like it was running better while at the house but with it not wanting to start we haven't taken it out to the lake.

ctbiker12

Recruit
I have a 2010 Stingray with a 3.0 Volvo Penta GLP. The water hose keeps blowing off the thermostat housing. I brought it to an authorized mechanic. He replaced the exhaust manifold and riser, rebuilt the carb. The boat won' idle and the hose still blows off. Any thoughts?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I have a 2010 Stingray with a 3.0 Volvo Penta GLP. The water hose keeps blowing off the thermostat housing. I brought it to an authorized mechanic. He replaced the exhaust manifold and riser, rebuilt the carb. The boat won' idle and the hose still blows off. Any thoughts?

Off topic post in an old thread. :facepalm: We just had a recent thread with your same issue. Look at the V-P forum thread listing.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.