Volvo 280 and engine seperation

codyandamber

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The boat is a 1978 bayliner with a 280 volvo outdrive and a 140a volvo 4 cylinder.<br /><br />I have experience with mercruiser and omc, but have never messed with a volvo. <br /><br />I need to pull the motor.<br />How do you seperate the motor from the rest of it? Do you have to pull the outdrive? Any and all advice is appreciated.<br /><br />Thanks

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Volvo 280 and engine seperation

You don't have to pull the complete outdrive, only the upper gear box. then remove the bellows. Then you will find 6 bolts around a ring. Remove those 6 bolts and the engine should come out.

bigbrownbuku

Master Chief Petty Officer

undo the helmet pin first and remove it. it pulls out once the 2 bolts are out. flip up the helmet. take off the shift cover. you can see 2 more bolts holding the top box onto the midsection. undo the bellows. when you are lifting the top off you have to hold down the vertical shaft coupler, just use a long screwdriver. lift until the shaft is free, spin the box sideways 90 degrees and off it comes.

f_inscreenname

Commander

I didn't want to ruffle any feathers but I have to tell him Don. Pull the drive. If it was me I would not want to take apart the drive when taken it of is just as easy. If you take the top half off the drive you will have to get gaskets to put it back together and there is the chance something may get in the drive while you have it apart. All it takes to pull the drive is undo the helmet and disconnect the shift cable and bellows (the same things to remove just the top half) then take the two allen bolts from the transom shield pins then pull the pins. Off the drive comes. If you never done this before the first thing you should do is get a manual and before you take anything apart (motor, drive, wiring, etc) take some pictures. If you can refer back to pictures it makes it a lot easier to put it back together.

bigbrownbuku

Master Chief Petty Officer

6 of one half dozen of the other. if you pull just the top box use a rubber band and a plastic bag to cover, works fine. its actually easier to replace just the top box then the whole drive. you will however have to replace the 2 orings. 1 around the water pickup and one around the oil gallery. good luck

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

I know this is not constructive, but I sure wish someone would resurrect the OMC stringer drive, with all necessary improvements. I get knots in my stomach, listening to all of the overly complex problems with Merc, Cobra and Volvo motor/drive assemblies.