volvo outdrive impellers?

jawzzy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
do the 290 DP's have an impeller in them like OMC's 800 and Mercs?<br /><br />While draining the engine and hoses yesterday, I found a big thick main hose coming from the outdrive which led to the pickup holes on the front of the drive. I coudn't put my muffs on, and they're round, and couldn't adjust for the volvo intake positioning, and now I'm wondering if all I had to do was hook water to the intake line I found, that goes to what seems to be an impeller on the main camshaft pully. Any knowledge on this would be appreciated, thanks:)

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: volvo outdrive impellers?

No pumps in the drives, all raw water pumps are engine mounted on Volvo's

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello<br /> yes I do it all the time. make sure if there are any oil coolers between the seawater pump intake and the transom that they get witerized as well.

jawzzy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Don: so then I can run the engine with no muffs on the outdrive, as long as I turn the engine off before it overheats? I'd still like to fog the engine correctly. I already spayed the fogging oil in each cyclinder, and down the carb without running it, but not sure that's enough. Also, without running it, I didn't get any of the gas with stablizer in it to the carb. <br /><br />Rodbolt: thanks for the tip, as there is a power steering cooler there, which is why I discovered this water intake line when I was blowing that line out to get all the water out:)

jawzzy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Oh, and thanks for the help guys:)

Dunaruna

Admiral

Originally posted by jawzzy:<br /> Don: so then I can run the engine with no muffs on the outdrive, as long as I turn the engine off before it overheats?
No, don't run the engine without water. Dons point was that the leg doesn't have a pump - the pump is engine mounted. You still need to connect muffs or connect into that hose you referred to. I know what you mean about a loose fit with the muffs but thats normal - water sprays out from the edges, don't worry. If you run the engine without water you will fry the raw pump impeller in seconds.<br /><br />Aldo

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

they make a set of muffs specifically for the volvo "swedish" built drives.<br /> buy a set.

jawzzy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Dunaruna, thanks, I wasn't thinking of the impellers in the engine:)<br /><br />rodbolt: thanks for the info, and I'll start looking today!