Not a Merc, Volvo, or GM... but still needs - OIL

datawire

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Man... just finished the "Mega Oil Thread" and (if possible) I'm more confused than ever. :confused: <br /><br />I have a '93 5.8L (Ford) with a Cobra Drive, and did not see any discussion of them. I would love to be able to email OMC and ask their recommendations - but that ain't gonna happen :( <br /><br />At the risk of starting the oil wars up again... I'd like to know what would be best for my setup, given all the new products available. :confused: :confused: <br /><br />My wife says she has Canola and Peanut oils available - but I must replace them by Sunday if used ;)

KaGee

Admiral
Re: Not a Merc, Volvo, or GM... but still needs - OIL

When in doubt... straight 30 weight.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello<br /> most have gone back to straight sae 30. we use 10w-30 for winter use here. I usually look in the owners manual. good luck and keep posting

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

OMC in my owners manual for 1988 said 30 wt for 32 and above, 20W from 0 to 32, and for below 0 (what were they thinking!!) 10W.<br />I use 30W here in NY, I know that you will have no problem starting above 50 degrees, below that you may have some reluctance to get the beast to fire. So basically they did not recommend multivis oils then, but since oils are better now, it may be an option in cooler climates.