Volvo AQ125A Question

trebor0301

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well I'm back again with another question.My motor has the exchanger cooling system and I'm a little confused about how its plumbed up.I'm trying to drain the water out of it for the winter.Looking down at the motor there is a copper line coming in on the right side.It goes in or comes from what appears to be a pump.Then it goes to a compartment with a basket to collect sediment.I believe this compartment is the exchanger. From there I follow a copper line that appears to go into the left side of the engine.On that leg there is a plug.There is also one on the bottom of the compartment with the basket,and another on the part of the engine that the copper line goes in(some sort of cooling manifold I think)Water came out of all three of those spots,but the drains are all on the left side and I think the pump and other side water lines are not getting drained.Also is there a place to drain up the antifreeze? Sorry if this is confusing.If anyone has a diagram of what I'm writing about that would be very helpful thanks!

eyezaiah

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Volvo AQ125A Question

I have the same motor and looking for the same information.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I think it would be best for you to take your boats to a Volvo dealer and pay to have them show you how to drain the raw water cooling system for the first time and explain the process. While you watch and "TAKE NOTES" as the mechanic does it the first time.<br />When just trying to explain it over the internet, it's too easy to miss something that may be slightly different on your engine than someone elses with the same engine. As an exampble, some 125's had oil coolers, some didn't and it has to be drained also.<br />Even the Volvo OEM manual doesn't describe how to drain the system for winter storage. But once you understand the cooling system and how it works it becomes easy to follow so you don't forget anything.

trebor0301

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the advice but,the only guy that is an actual Volvo tech is almost 50 miles away.He charges over $200.00 and offers very little advice for free.I have always tried to do things myself and most of the time I'm amazed how easy things go.I ordered a book to help me along but,unfortunately I need to do this this coming weekend.If there is anyone willing to help me get thru this job I greatly appreciate it.Thanks