Building a hydraulic to replace Volvo tilt, Help please

f_inscreenname

Commander
My Volvo 270 tilt system took a crap for the second time in two years. This time it did a lot of damage. Apparently, in some order, not sure which way, I burned up the tilt motor, a relay and burned up the worm gear, and bent the main shaft. I put the drive all the way down (I thought) the last time I went out and when I took off I heard the outdrive thud against the transom and I knew right away what it was. when I pulled the boat out I also found the reverse lock was smashed. I fixed it yesterday and today I got the tilt out of the transom shield. It came out in pieces. I will not be able to salvage it in any way. Which leads me to my questions. First; How much pressure (PSI) does tilt system put out to lift the drive? Any know where to find the cylinder, electric pump and hoses on the cheep? I figure if I can do away with this 1970’s solid state technology I think I will be much better off.

Dunaruna

Admiral
Re: Building a hydraulic to replace Volvo tilt, Help please

Remember that other forum you used to frequent, I can't remember the name of it (the volvo penta specific forum). Anyhow, someone there built a hydraulic kit to replace the electric tilt, not ratted parts from a 270T but a home built ram system. Thats the only time I have heard of a successful conversion short of finding a 270T or 280T and using all the hydraulic parts to convert yours.<br /><br />Good luck.<br /><br />Aldo

f_inscreenname

Commander

No, no, no. I am not trying to build a trim system. A little to much involved for me. One day I plan on replacing the drive with something a little more modern like a SX drive. Till then I have what I have. I just want to replace the tilt system (what picks up the drive for trailering). I figure I just need one cylinder bolted in the same place as the tilt was and a way to drive it in and out (elec motor). Doesn't seem like it would be to hard. Mount a “mounting” collar to the end of the cylinder, bolt it in and go. The best part is I wouldn't have to buy all the outdated, overpriced Volvo crap that brakes 6 months after you buy it.

Dunaruna

Admiral

So basically you need something like a HEAVY duty trimtab ram (bennett?), yeah?<br /><br />Aldo

f_inscreenname

Commander

Something like that. My Bennetts cylinders are made or plastic so I don't think that would work but that is the basic idea. One cylinder strong enough and long enough to lift the outdrive and that is it. Seem like it would be simple if I can find the right stuff.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

a cylinder from a hyd. steering system? youll have to adapt some type of pump unit.

f_inscreenname

Commander

I think I need something a little different. A cylinder that will extend and retract by the use of the pump only. Aren't steering cylinders just power assisted? They don't move on there own without steering input.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

The one im thinking of is similiar to Sea Star types or Hynautic. used on I/Os and outboards.thin enough and long enough to fit thru the tilt system and should have enough throw to lift the drive. M/C or OMC pump system might make it work.

Peter J Fraser

Chief Petty Officer

An "agricultural" style cylinder would work ok as all you need is a displacement ram - single acting style to tilt the leg up.<br />These could be modified to fit in place of the electro-lift unit.<br />Any of the shops that part out old outboards could be able to help with a pump unit to drive it out.<br />The weight of the leg should be enough to bring the leg back down but how do you propose to lock the leg down for reverse operation?<br />The cast arm on the leg is not strong enough to take any more than the lifting weight of the leg and can't transmit any drive thrust. <br />Good luck.<br /><br />Peter

f_inscreenname

Commander

The reverse lock on a Volvo drive is at the bottom of the drive and attaches to a bar at the bottom of the transom shield. It really doesn't have anything to do with the tilt system. You bring up a good point (the reason I posted here). I need one the will retract as well as push out on its own. If it doesn't retract off the outdrive it will not let the reverse lock engage (there is a bar that opens the reverse lock that it is pushed in when the tilt first starts to push on the drive). Something else to think about.

Peter J Fraser

Chief Petty Officer

The lock system on my 280 is the same. I was just thinking aloud on that point.<br />I had a look at a Northern Tools catalog that I have here in my office.<br />They list a 9092008-B948 cylinder that is poss suitable or easily modified.<br />An auto power steer pump to suit your engine would be a possible and I would probably look at using a small electric / hydraulic control valve to operate the cylinder. That way you can leave the existing tilt control wiring in place and working.<br />It will be an interesting project.<br />Like you I may have to look into this myself one day.<br /><br />Keep the thinking cap warm.<br /><br />Peter

vrod2002

Seaman Apprentice

Just found this while surfing<br /><br />WWW.sterndrive.com/board/show_subtopic.cfm<br /><br />I have two trim packages for the 270T, all taken apart. Will need to be reassembled. Different transom plate from the 270 but I have plate and intermediate fork as well. If you are interested craigw027@yahoo.ca <br />19ft Chasin the wind (on a trailer).

f_inscreenname

Commander

What's up #1. I will shoot you a e-mail.