1995 Fuel Injection on 5.0 Volvo/Penta

navigator336

Petty Officer 1st Class
A friend of mine is considering buying a 1995 Seaswirl with a 5.0 Volvo/Penta with fuel injection. Have any of you had any experience with the reliability of injected engines of this era?<br /><br />Thanks.

tommays

Admiral
Re: 1995 Fuel Injection on 5.0 Volvo/Penta

fuel injection makes for a much better runing engine that will have more power and use less fuel <br /><br />the down side no matter who makes it( merc or volvo) is that unlike a carb motor when it does not work you have very litte chance of fixing it your self and the ECM that runs it is a very costly part<br /><br />tommays

navigator336

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks Tommays.<br /><br />I was wondering specifically about the mid-1990's. Fuel injected marine engines are reliable now, but I believe I've heard the earlier versions were problematic. Any thoughts on that? Thanks again.

tommays

Admiral

i am a DIY person as such i stay away from things that i can not fix my self EFI is on the top of my list<br /><br /> any used boat from 1995 is going to have some problems because it is getting into its everything is worn out time of life<br /><br />but the huge amount of money that can be saved VS the cost of a new boat has to be considered but IMHP any 10 year old EFI is most likely going to need something that cost much more than a carb motor<br /><br />tommays

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello<br /> is this a GM or FORD 5.0? and is it TBI or MPI.<br /> good luck and keep posting

navigator336

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi Rodbolt,<br /><br />My friend thought the dealer mentioned 302 so it's probably a Ford. It is fully injected. Thanks.