1997 4.3 GL Volvo Bogs on hole shot

morey1

Cadet
I hope someone can help point me in the right direction on 2 questions I have. My Volvo 4.3 GL is on a 1997 Regal 1900LSR, if it matters. <br /><br />1 - This summer, while at WOT I was adjusting the trim to achieve maximum speed. The engine "cut" when I would hit the trim, and return to normal the minute I would release. One of the occasions, even after releasing, the engine suffered a loss of power and the boat bogged to 10 MPH or less. Return to neutral and gunning it returned to "normal" top end, but my hole shot ever since has been noticably poor. Engine performance also very spotty on idle, as if I have bad gas. I feel I've eliminated gas as a variable over time, however. Trim now also seems to be operating normally at speed or idle, albiet "slower" to get full up/down. Any ideas out there as to what to look at/test? I do not know if the trim thing was an independent, one time problem and the engine performance is an unrelated problem that developed, or if there is a chance they are related? I will likely have a dealer look at it, but I'd love to go in with some ideas or things to explain so they don't blow me off. Our summers are short in WI and I don't want to miss one with this problem cropping up again.<br />Thanks VERY MUCH for your ideas.

tommays

Admiral
Re: 1997 4.3 GL Volvo Bogs on hole shot

if the trim pump has a problem it can draw so much power that the motor can lose spark and shut off while useing the trim<br /><br />i dont no how long your fuel filters have been in the motor they should be changed every year<br /><br /> it sounds like the carb could use a rebuild kit and the motor a good tuneup<br /><br />tommays

Boatin Bob

Lieutenant Commander

This happens more often than some think and as tommays said it could be the trim pump or it could also be a bad connection, check and clean/tighten your connections at the battery, battery switch and at the engine, also the alt. If you ahve any kind of a high resistance then when you use something that draws a significant load it will steal power away from your iginition thus causing poor performance.

morey1

Cadet

Thanks for your advice. Question...if we suppose there is a bad connection or the trim is somehow stealing power from the engine, that would only be a problem when engaging the trim, correct? Meaning...if I trim full down at rest, leave it alone, and hit it, my hole shot should be normal, correct? My overall performance complaints seem to have originated with the trim, but now it is performing poorly whether I am adjusting trim at the time or not. So, tommays other recommendations are valid, if not more valid, to improve my engine performance at this point, correct? From what you guys have said, maybe I had a wet or bad connection that is unrelated to my current performance decline? Am I getting this correctly?

Boatin Bob

Lieutenant Commander

You could still have a bad connection but the reason it shows up when trimming is because it uses significant power, other things that could cause it would be blowers, horn, stereo with pwr amp, etc. Anything that uses a lot power but the most common post like this seems to be when trimming. I'm not saying that you don't have some kind of fuel related problem as well and the filters should be changed to at least eliminate them as a possible cause. When was the last time a tune up was done?

morey1

Cadet

First of all, I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV :) I have little knowledge or aptitude when it comes to engine repair, so bear with me. I cannot thank you enough for your input. I am hoping for impartial advice so the dealer doesn't short-shrift on the repairs. Around here at this time, they want to winterize and get the thing back out the door.<br /><br />The boat is a 1997, I purchased used in 2000. I have had it winterized professionaly every season, which I believe, but can't be certain, involves replacing the fuel filters. Last season, I had the lower unit drained and re-oiled (greased / whatever :) ). I did check and clean the battery connections at the battery when the trim problem surfaced. As I said, the trim now appears to be working fine, with the exception of that one event. The wires from the battery travel deep inside the engine cavity from there, and I cannot see the other end to clean or check connections.<br /><br />Bottom Line...given what I have told you, what would you recommend I do/have the dealer do at this winterization period? Thanks again so much for your assistance.

tommays

Admiral

if no tune up has been done i would say it is time<br /><br />the bog sounds like the acc pump in the carb is getting weak(when you speed up the acc pump gives a shot of fuel when they get old they wear out and dont pump enough fuel)<br /><br />it would not be unusual to rebuild a carb on a 1997 motor<br /><br />tommays