volvo trim/tilt fix?

jawzzy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I've got the manuals on the way for my new 1993 Chaparral 501b volvo duo prop aquistion, but I thought I might get a headstart on this problem. <br />When I picked up my new boat, the trim/tilt didn't work AT ALL, and we had to get it up by suppling direct power to the pump to get it up for trailering. <br />I'm aware of the 2 relays, but could both of them go at once, and is there any test to find out it they're dead?<br />Or should I be looking somewhere else on this one?<br /><br />thanks for any help to get me started!!!<br /><br />and oh ya, the drive bellows was also rotted through in case that may shed any light on this problem.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: volvo trim/tilt fix?

The relays could both be bad. Many times they both get so corroded that they don't work, but the relays themselves are good.<br /><br />Regarding your bellows being bad, look at this topic.<br /> Click Here

jawzzy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

the relays looked good, no corrosion, but that still doesn't mean they're any good, does it:)<br />Is there a fuse that would control these? I've checked the fuse areas, and found nothing for the trim/tilt specifically. <br />And yes, I've checked out the post you referred to, and won't be putting my boat back in till I get to it. Waiting for the manuals now, and after just replying to another Starbaby post, looks like we're both looking for the same thing in the same area right now:)<br />thanks again Don S!!!

jawzzy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

well, after finally checking out the new boat, it appears my "ignorance" in the workings of it got the best of me. It appears with the volvo set up, I was suppossed to push "both" the up bottons for the trim and tilt at the same time to make it lift. Unfortunatly I was on my own when I took delivery of this used unit, and no one was there to fill me in, but now lesson learned. Now if that's not the way it should work, please correct me, as pushing one button at a time accomplishes nothing. <br /><br />Also, where would I find the sending unit for the trim/tilt, as the gauge is reading down, and isn't moving? Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!

tommays

Admiral

jawzzy<br /><br />i would recomend you read the link don gave the torn drive bellows is a very big deal<br /><br />tommays

jawzzy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I did the day he posted it, and the appointment is set for repair, as noted in one of my other posts:), but thanks for the advice.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Since you are taking your boat in for repair, have the mechanic go over the boat and explain things to you when he is done. I know when I do repairs or even tune-ups or winterizations on customers boats that when I am done I probably know more about the workings and condition of things in the basic systems than they do. (Not counting the electronics. This is just something a competent dealership is accustomed to doing.<br />Service!, it's how dealers keep customers coming back. Without it we die......