Volvo bangs hard into reverse

keelhauled

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm posting thiis question on my Dad's behalf, so I apologize if some of the details are sketchy...<br /><br />What we have is a Volvo Penta, not sure of the model since I'm not real familiar with Volvo drives. It's on a '68 Chris Craft with a 283 V8 and it bears a plate that says '250'.<br /><br />The problem is, it bangs hard in reverse. Forward engages smoothly and quietly. We've tried adjusting the shift linkage to no avail and even reversed the operation of the drive by moving the linkage to the other side of the drive and switched it with a counterrotating prop (just happened to have one.. don't ask). When the linkage it set up 'backwards' it then bangs into forward. So it only happens in one direction on the drive. <br /><br />We're running 10w-30 as recommeded by the shop manual and the levels are correct; checked and rechecked.<br /><br />My only thought is that either the shift 'fork' might be bent or a spring broken or something is causing the cone clutch to slam one way.<br /><br />Ideas?<br /><br />Thanks!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Volvo bangs hard into reverse

The problem is the spacer ring and circlips on the vertical shaft in the upper gear box.<br />In time they get worn and bent over. The gap is supposed to be between .004 and .020 inches. When they get up around .050 to .060 it allows the upper gear to raise up too far causing the banging.<br />You will need to have a Volvo dealer reshim the upper gear box and replace the spacer ring and circlips.