volvo penta DP manual and ID #s?

jawzzy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Can someone provide me in the direction of a GOOD manual for a 1993 VP DP manual with a 5.0 engine? I'm still trying to identify the exact model/serial #, but reading the VP plate above the bellows only provided 554925, and I don't think that's it. The only other marking on the outdrive is the "DP" on the upper gear case. <br />My present OMC manual is year and model specific, and I'd like to find the SAME thing for this one, not one that covers decades of models and changes. <br />Thanks for any help in this matter, Jawzzy:)

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: volvo penta DP manual and ID #s?

Get the model number off the engine, and I can get you the information you need. The number you gave doesn't come up. Also, the reason I need the complete engine number (and all the letters) is there was a 5.0L Gm and Ford engine in that year. A number and letter combo such as (5.0GIPWTR)is what you are looking for.

jawzzy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Dunaruna: thanks, I'll check the link out:)<br /><br />Don S: I'll try and find the # again today. Any suggestions on where to look on the engine for the serial #. I've tried already, but so sign of any label. It's a GM 305 by the way. <br /><br />thanks again for the help so far:)

Don S

Which kind of drive do you have.<br /><br />DP-S<br />
DP-S.jpg
<br /><br />290 Style<br />
290style.jpg

jawzzy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have the 290 style one, so does that mean mine "is" a 290, or could I still have some different version? <br />And I still can't seem to find any engine serial #. Where do they hide that sucker????<br />thanks:)

Don S

On the drive, if you look at the upper gear box, there is a tag just under the u-joint bellows that will have the model number on it. It may be something like DP-D1 or DP-something. and a gear ratio.<br />The engine, you may find a metal tag on the engine just above the starter.

jawzzy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I found the tag on the outdrive, but all I could "see" was either:<br /><br />ss4925 or 554925, or possibly 545925. I'll have to try and get a better look once I get the tilt/trim working again, but that's for another post;)<br /><br />I'll try looking above the starter for the engine tag, and get back to you. <br /><br />thanks Don S

jawzzy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

K, this is exactly what I found on a tag above the oil filter:<br /><br />Volvo Penta 501B 868496<br /> NO 4 100145827<br /><br />there's "simular" NO on the intermediate housing also. <br />thanks again for any info on getting me an exact year and model manual.

Don S

You have a model 501B. That is the number needed by the Volvo parts guy to look up parts for your engine. The serial number is 4100145827. The other number in only used by Volvo and really isn't needed.

jawzzy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks again, and I've started my searching;)

jawzzy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just a minor update, but after removing the engine/air filter cover (with 501 on it), low and behold, there were "ALL" the serial numbers on the back end of the cover (which was hidden under the back transom wall), SO SIMPLE!!!!!!!!<br /><br />and I've ordered my manuals, one specific for the motor and one specific for the outdrives (270/80/90 and DP).