Cant remove Volvo OD.

IMP

Seaman Apprentice
1977 IMP- 5.7 GM 4bbl 280 OD w. PT. In my quest to replace the gimble bearing, its my understanding that the od will have to be removed. The book states to remove the bolt holding pivot pin in place, attach a 5/16 bolt into the pre-tapped pivot pin and pull right out with a slide hammer. I have done this but the pins will not com out. it will move about 1cm each way but that is it. I have a heavy slide hammer and have put quite a bit into the taps. It almost seems as if something is still holding it in place. Any suggestions. Also does anyone know where I could find a parts layout that shows the gimbal(drive shaft bearing) and the od?

Dunaruna

Admiral
Re: Cant remove Volvo OD.

Hi IMP, you only need to remove the upper gear housing to to get to the uni-shaft. All you will need to reassemble is a couple of 'O' ring seals. Watch how the shims come out and reinstall them the same way.<br /><br />You can find a schematic here but the site is down at the moment.<br /><br /> http://volvopentaparts.stemtostern.com/ <br /><br />Aldo

pine island fred

Lieutenant Junior Grade

the pivot pin is held in place by a long bolt. the pin has a machined grove cut in it that the bolt engages. you did remove the retaining bolts ?

pine island fred

Lieutenant Junior Grade

fred again. did you have problems removing the steering helmet ? flat nuts under the helmet and then screw out with an allen wrench. took me and friend a long time to figure it out ( dummies )

IMP

Seaman Apprentice

So I don't need to remove the pins. I did remove one bolt from each and pulled- didn't budge, it seems like something other than the bolt is holding them in., is there anything else holding them. If I dont need to remove them though. So I have removed the helmet but have not went any further than removing the helmet piece. I seen a allen bolt there, your saying that I can just remove the upper gearcase and slide out the shaft & upper gearcase as 1 piece.

f_inscreenname

Commander

If you have the locking bolts out. Soak the pins with penetrating oil and drive them out. The first time I took my drive off they were locked into place. Took a long steel bar and drove them out from the inside. When far enough out grab it with a pair of vice grips and give it a few twists to break it lose. Don't be afraid to give it a few good whacks to get it started. The pins being in there for many years will need some serious persuasion to come out.

IMP

Seaman Apprentice

I will try that this afternoon and post tommorrow.

Dunaruna

Admiral

IMP, what manual are you using? The clymerB770 describes how to remove the upper housing only to access the uni-shaft, page 347. <br /><br />Aldo

IMP

Seaman Apprentice

I have the clymer, I'll check that page. If one has to remove motor to change this part, why would one need to remove out unit? I looked and seen the hex bolt. I am going to look through schems to see if removing this way would be beneficial.

Dunaruna

Admiral

You need to pull the engine and remove the bellhousing. The uni-shaft & collar are the only connections that needs to be removed from the outside, not the entire outdrive.<br /><br />Aldo

IMP

Seaman Apprentice

well I will be giving it another shot this weekend. I'll post w. any questions or hopefully that I was successful.

IMP

Seaman Apprentice

Alright, I was able, thanks to this post, to finally remove upper hear housing from the boat. It came off quite easily. I removed the exaust bellows and put my finger in the whole the drive shaft had previously been in. I felt where the bearing should be but it was decentigraded into peices. I was able to pull most of the chunks and pieces of the old bearing out. My question is: In the book, I can only find mention of this bearing once and it only references this bearing when discussing another part. At this point, from what I can gather, I remove main mounting bolts to engine, after of course removing the risers, and position the motor where I can remove the bell housing,>> is this serviced as a unit or will I be able to purchase this bearing and repalce it my self? Secondly, does anyone know of a site which may list parts for this out drive. I have looked and see nothing for a "280 volvo-penta". Is it called by another name? Any help is good. Thanks. Bill

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Remove the lag bolts holding the front motor mounts the stringer.<br />Since you have the upper gear box off, remove the 6 bolts (41) holding the ring (39) on and remove the ring. Then you can either take the engine out or move it off to one side to remove the bellhousing. <br />The shaft has 2 seals, 4 snap rings and 2 bearing (see drawing)<br />Here is the site that has the drawing below. Look under connecting components.<br /> dougrussel.com <br /><br />
ACF43.gif

Dunaruna

Admiral

IMP, <br /><br />When I replaced mine I got a bit of a shock at prices VP wanted for the parts, in Australia we get ripped off with marine stuff.<br /><br />I took all my old parts (bearings/snap rings/seals) to a local industrial bearing supplier, he matched everything perfectly and all stainless steel, even the compression spring in the seal was SS. All up it was a quarter of the price compared to VP parts - and the VP parts were not SS!! <br /><br />Might be worth a try IMO.<br /><br />Aldo

IMP

Seaman Apprentice

I will be doing over next week. The layout shows snap rings holding everything in place, is it going to be as easy as using a pair of snap-ring pliers and patience to remove and re-install these bearings?

Dunaruna

Admiral

Originally posted by IMP:<br /> I will be doing over next week. The layout shows snap rings holding everything in place, is it going to be as easy as using a pair of snap-ring pliers and patience to remove and re-install these bearings?
You won't know the answer to that until its pulled apart. In my case, the bearing and bearing carrier looked like a nuke had gone off. Water intrusion had done a lot of damage and I had to use oxy/acet & a workshop press (bellhousing removed) and a lot of patience. <br /><br />Aldo

f_inscreenname

Commander

I also with the bellhousing out had to press the bearing out and then back in. The bell housing was made by the motor manufacture not Volvo so Ford, Chevy, Chrysler etc all were made a little different. Like said before you wont know till you get inside but if I was you I would locate a press before starting.