Volvo Or OMC ?

ken brake

Recruit
I have a 97 Seaswirl the stern drive is OMC Cobra,the data plate is there.However the flame arrestor on the motor says volvo-penta 4.8 GL, the data decal on the valve cover is not there.Did Seaswirl or other boat manufactures mix the motor and stern drive.Thanks Ken

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Volvo Or OMC ?

the last of the OMC drives were in 95. I think mid 95 production went to the joint venture and it was the cobra SX then in 96 just the sx.<br /> the SX drive looks very similar to the older cobras.look on the stbd side at the drive/gimbal area. if you can see the shift cable enter the gimbal and a small metal lock bar its an SX.<br /> 95 was the last of the JV stuff from what I understand. <br />good luck and keep posting

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

Seaswirl was an OMC boat company back then. In '95 OMC and Volvo did a joint manufacturing and engineering effort at the OMC Tennesee outdrive plant. They used the Volvo shafts and gears inside a modified version of the OMC King Cobra outdrive. Both OMC and Volvo marketed them as SX units and they were identical except that Volvo used a longer series of digits for the serial number. <br /><br />I believe they produced sterndrives together from 1995 to 1999, when OMC sold the rights and the plant to Volvo who is still producing them today.

DaveM

Petty Officer 1st Class

I just split a few hairs. I think the OMC/Volvo joint venture started in '94, or so says the manual for my '94 SX manual.