volvo gimble bearing replacement?

IMP

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 79 IMP 5.7 GM 280T (Power trim). There is a noise comeing from the part between the motor & Out drive, sounds like between flywheel and transom mount/ steering swival. It sounds like a worn bearing. The noise is pretty consistant, though I haven't taken it out since hearing the noise. It does not get worse when the wheel is turned which leads me to think it is the gimble bearing (Or the VP equivalent). On my last post it was said that I have to pull motor in order to reach the bearing in question. Does the outdrive have to be taken off as well? Can anyone explain how to get at the bearing. I have the clymers but for this boat it is less than usefull.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: volvo gimble bearing replacement?

you will need to at least pull the upper housing so you can set the motor back in. use duct tape to seal the hole.<br /> good luck

f_inscreenname

Commander
Re: volvo gimble bearing replacement?

I agree with RODBOLT but if you take the drive apart you will have to get new gaskets to put it back together. Then there is the potential something going wrong during disassembly and assembly. Also you have to get the bolts out of the collar. A real drag if the bottom of the drive is still there. Whey take the risk? Its easier to take the whole thing off and be done with it. <br /> The bearing you need to get to is in the bell housing. If you have ever seen a cars transmission out of a car it looks like that inside (the inside of a bell with a shaft sticking out). The bearings support the shaft (in the small end of the bell housing). There should be a couple of seals in there to. All of them are pressed into place along with the shaft.