volvo penta outdrive

JustGotASearay

Recruit
i just got a boat and it will not go into gear i was wondering if it could be just a frozen cable or the actual outdrive. and this is without the motor running b/c i need to get a starter for the motor. i was wondering if maybe it wouldnt go into gear b/c the motor wasnt on. also anything else it might be thanx. :confused:

JustGotASearay

Recruit
Re: volvo penta outdrive

im not sure what year or model it is. i belive the boat is a 73 and it is a sea ray. the motor is a v8 volvo penta GM

placebo

Seaman

You can remove the shift cover on the outdrive with a phillips screw driver and disconnect the shift cable from the linkage. Then you should be able to move the shift linkage by hand, as well as operate the control cable via the throttle to see if it is stuck.<br /><br />Dave

placebo

Seaman

Actually, these VP drives are very durable. More than likely it is the cable as they do wear out over time. If the drive has been taken care of, and the oil level is good, you will probably make out just fine. The shift cable is easy to change on these units also.<br /><br />David

JustGotASearay

Recruit

yeah i dont know it has been sitting for a long time i looked at the screws for the shift cable and they are all corroded and so i might in for alot of work i guess i will just have to see what happens. i wish i could work on it today but its in storage right now :mad: