1998 four winns volvo 5.7 duo prop /Trim Tilt does not go either up nor down

Status
Not open for further replies.

flip123red

Cadet
It worked two weeks ago. I charged the batteries and replaced the bilge pump now the trim tilt does not move at all. Use the switch on the throttle control and nothing no noise zero. Have hit the red 50amp breaker and the 10 amp reset breaker on the pump. Still nothing. Should I order a relay or what? How do you hotwire it to test pump?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1998 four winns volvo 5.7 duo prop /Trim Tilt does not go either up nor down

What's the full model number of your engine? Need all those letters after the 5.7

Since this happened after replacing the batteries, I would suspect a wire got left off.

flip123red

Cadet
Re: 1998 four winns volvo 5.7 duo prop /Trim Tilt does not go either up nor down

model 57fcpbyc

Don S

With no noise at all, either direction, I would first start looking at the connection at the trim pump where the wires go to the trim switch.
Make sure you have power at the fuse and you have a good ground (Use a meter)

To jumper the motor to make sure it works, use the 2 wire connector at the pump motor. One terminal to battery positve, one to negative. To reverse direction, reverse the jumpers from positive to negative.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Volvo trim relay setup.jpg
    Volvo trim relay setup.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 26

flip123red

Cadet

With no noise at all, either direction, I would first start looking at the connection at the trim pump where the wires go to the trim switch.
Make sure you have power at the fuse and you have a good ground (Use a meter)

To jumper the motor to make sure it works, use the 2 wire connector at the pump motor. One terminal to battery positve, one to negative. To reverse direction, reverse the jumpers from positive to negative.

attachment.php

So could you elaborate a bit more so I am confident I am jumping the motor the correct way. It appears that there are Green(Down) Blue (Up) and red and black on the pump unit where the 10 amp reset is. How do I proceed?

viciousvolvo

Recruit

I had the same problem with my trim just last week. I wired the trim motor directly to the battery and it created a direct short. When I removed the motor, and took it apart the bearing had gone bad causing the motor to trip the 50a breaker. I found an inexpensive replacement trim motor (without the pump) through Ebay at a place in TN called DB electrical. They shipped quick and it only took 5 minutes to install and everything works great.

atcra

Seaman

I too had this happen to me. I have a 95 210 wellcraft eclipse...it was in the switch inside the throttle...it just quit working. I ended up putting a 3-way switch in the panel next to the throttle and ran it that way. Every so often my trim would not go up but would go down...it ended up being the green connection wire needing to be reclamped with a new connector so it would fit better in the little black relay.

Don S

So could you elaborate a bit more so I am confident I am jumping the motor the correct way. It appears that there are Green(Down) Blue (Up) and red and black on the pump unit where the 10 amp reset is. How do I proceed?

attachment.php

Attachments

• Volvo trim.jpg
    Volvo trim.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 6

flip123red

Cadet

Thanks for all the support. So I jumped the pump and it is good. At least the engine is in the up position now. I the traced the wires back. Never found the spade fuse. Dont really believe there is one. Pulled all the connections apart and they seem fine. When at the throttle control I moved the wires where they enter from behind as an earlier post said their wire was chaffed by the throttle. Afterwards if you hit the tilt/trim it sounded like the pump clicked but nothing moved . After a few times no noises were made again. Any other suggestions.

Don S

See if this helps.

Attachments

• SX Trim Tilt troubleshooting.pdf
    276.7 KB · Views: 17

nicklam89

Recruit

Don S,

Thanks for providing the trim troubleshooting guide, page I am looking for regarding sending unit adjustment (page 4-6) is missing, can you attach this page for me? Thanks greatly.

flyweed

Cadet
To Don S - In reference to this Volvo topic: http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engi...prop-trim-tilt-does-not-go-either-up-nor-down

I'm Hoping you could help me out with trouble shooting here on my tilt and trim

I think the circuit board on my pump is bad, but want to try and trouble shoot. Was wondering if you have or know where I can find a diagram like the one you posted for a 1990 Four Winns 170 Freedom with the OMC Cobra 4 cyl engine in it? Any help would be great. Thanks for your time.

​Dan

Last edited by a moderator:

Fun Times

Staff member
To Don S -
Hi there flyweed, unfortunately Don won't be able to help find you a nice diagram like that since he's no longer with us down here anymore.....I guess the main man above us boat needed fixing too, so he sent Don up to help.:(

One thing Don would have asked from you is that you please start a new topic of your own in the OMC sub-forum and reference this thread by posting a link to it in your post vs bringing up an old topic that is more then 90 days old.

Please see the "Help Tip" at the top of any engine technical sub-forum for more information of why the hosts of iboats prefers this method.

I'm going to take the liberty and start you a new topic of your own in the OMC sub-forum for you.

Thank you and good luck.
iboats mod team

Here's a link to your new topic: http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engin...m-pump-problem

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.