Volvo Penta AQ-131 "not firing"

liv2soar

Cadet
My last owner jimmy rigged my engine to run, it worked great until last weekend. He ran an extra wire from the positive battery terminal to the ignition coil. I have heard that the igntion coil is 6 volts and since my battery is 12 volts it would have fried it. I pulled the plugs to see if they were firing at all when I turned the motor over...sure enough they weren't. <br /><br />The reason he did this was because he couldn't start the boat. Maybe a bad wire running from the ignition switch? But if you would hook that wire up, turn the key, it would work. And then to turn the boat off the key would do nothing so you'd have to pull the wire off the battery. Without the jimmy rigged wire it would never get spark to the sparkplugs.<br /><br /> I plan on putting a new coil on it but wanted to ask this question:<br /><br />With this scenario could I have burned up anything more than the coil? Or would it have only burned up that much?

FENIXX3435

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Volvo Penta AQ-131 "not firing"

If you found the bad wire from the ignition switch, reattached it and replaced the coil?<br />Are you still having trouble? Other than burning up coil? That will only bypass the wiring harness.

hoot

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Volvo Penta AQ-131 "not firing"

what year/type motor? points and condensor? you need a 12 volt coil. get a volt meter and check volts at the + terminal of the coil. with the key on, you should get something less than 12 (7-9) volts if you have an external resistor wire or ballast and the wiring is correct. 12 volts is supplied to the post during cranking.