Volvo 4.3 Gl SX - Water Pump Leak

jimi

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I've noticed a steady "pee" (small boy size) from the inside of my water pump pulley. I assume this means the shaft seal is done. <br /><br />Does anyone have any experience in how fast these things fail completely. The engine is only four years old (180 hrs). <br /><br />Do these seals drip for ever or do suddenly fall out and your engine over-heats? <br /><br />Volvo Penta SX 4.3 GL :confused:

Dunaruna

Admiral
Re: Volvo 4.3 Gl SX - Water Pump Leak

Hi jimi,<br /><br />A 'small pee' from behind the pump pulley is a faulty bearing/shaft seal. Should it last 4 years? Depends on use. Is it the circulation or raw pump? Is it used in salt water? Was the belt to tight? Did it run dry? Whats the coolant like?<br /><br />Doesn't really matter, needs to be replaced.<br /><br />Aldo

jimi

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You're right. I guess I'm just looking for a reason to put it off until the weather cools down a bit.<br /><br /><br />fresh water only<br />it's the upper pump (which is that? circ or raw... I didn't even know there was two... LOL)<br /><br />Have you ever replaced a water pump?

DHPMARINE

Captain

jimi I've seen many of these pumps leaking at the weephole.It will leak a long time,without failure.The motor is GM as is the pump,and I think it can't handle the fresh water pump belt tension.<br />DHP<br /><br /><br />i

jimi

Petty Officer 2nd Class

OPs...<br /><br />It's the top pump .... circulation pump.<br /><br />It's a steady pencil size stream. Is there a plug that falls out or something

Dunaruna

Admiral

With all due respect to DHP, why wait? Most boats develope cooling problems at one time or another, the 'steady pencil stream' is giving you prefailure warning with the circ pump. Murphys law means it will fail at the worst time IMO.<br /><br />Any water that is leaking out is NOT being used for cooling.<br /><br />Is it fresh or raw cooled?<br /><br />Aldo

tommays

Admiral

a water pump at the dock is much cheaper than a <br /><br />tow<br /> or <br />a damaged engine <br /><br />or worse a night on the cold dark water because you could not contact anybody when you broke down<br /><br />tommays

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

not to mention the corrosion that the water mist slung off the pulleys creates.<br /> just fix tha dang thang<br /> good luck and keep posting

jimi

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm going to fix it. <br /><br />I was hope to get a dianoses first. The parts place is about a two hour drive each way or two weeks by mail. I'd buy the seal kit but I find it unusual that it's not a shaft seal like spray or mist. The pencil shaped leak make me think it either crack during the winter or something fell off.<br /><br />I'll take one last look at it Saturday when I get up north (the boat is 3 hours from my home) and begin disassembly.

tommays

Admiral

ups blue service should be two days and much cheaper than 4 hours of gas and your time<br /><br />tommays

MFG197

Petty Officer 1st Class

350 V8 Merc<br /><br />Had water slowly dripping from mine. Took it off and the pee hole had corrosion around it meaning it had been leaking a LONG time before I noticed it. Easy replace, an hour or two tops. <br /><br />There are plugs on the top and bottom of the pump but I think it would be much more water than you see. The shaft seal hole would seem to emit a pee stream if it was totally roached.

jimi

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Tommays;<br />My cottage is just south of Algonquin Park. The local courrier makes a part run on Thursdays. Mail is the best way. All of the great US online parts stores are on the wrong side of the boarder for me. You always dinged by duty crossing the US/Canada boarder. :( <br /><br />WWYC na 7;<br />Those pluges are likely directly above and below the main body right?<br /><br />Maybe I'll try to "borrow" a set of circ pump seals from the Dealer.

butlp

Petty Officer 1st Class

Jimi,<br />It's not a big deal to pull the circulating pump, should not take more than 30 minutes and you can then see if it is just a seal or crack in the body.<br /><br />You have 5 Volvo Penta dealers in the Toronto area and I would hope that one would have your parts in stock. My local dealer(Browns Marina)has 2/3 day delivery on non stock parts from the warehouse in Vancouver.

screwy

Recruit

Water pump should be replaced in whole; this will eliminate cracked/deareated casting on pump also. <br /><br />Also relplace impeller in raw water pump(lower one on right side looking at front of engine)as this should be replaced every 3 years as per manufacturer. It is about $30-$35 and replaced by removing pump(2 bolts), removing back plate(2 screws) and replace rubber impeller. Use new gaskets that come in kit along with the lube in the kit. Make sure you install while turning pulley in proper direction to set vanes.

butlp

Petty Officer 1st Class

I agree with greymare, replace both pumps especially as you are so far from a dealer. You would not believe the problems I had when the impeller disintegrated and blocked the thermostat housing and the feeds to the exhaust manifolds. I defiantly will replace mine every 3 years just to be on the safe side.<br /><br />Just a note! My Seloc manual said to lubricate the raw (seawater) pump impeller with grease, however the Volvo kit comes with a tube of glycerin and says to use that only.