Volvo 270 Stern Drive Vibration

fish393

Seaman Apprentice
1]I have changed the u-joints. <br />2]Have checked the prop shaft and changed to a new propeller. 15-17R <br />3]Tightenend all bolts associated with mounting of engine and stern.<br />4]No engine vibration at idle or acceleration.<br /><br /> PROBLEM<br />It starts grumbling at about 5mph and continuse to do so until on plane and then evens out.A large amount of curning in water an eruption.On turns its is on right hand turn that it acts up or when trolling slow only on turns.Mostly right hand turns.The steering seems also lose not as tight as it was when not making nose.Will contiusly pull to the right.<br /><br /> Questions<br />There is no gimble bearing but a main shaft bearing.Could this be the problem?If so can this be changed with just removing the upper gear housing and going at it from there.<br /><br />Could there be a alighment problem and if so how do you correct it.Have clymer manual and does not cover.<br /><br />Last but not lease could it have to do with the bushings on the mounting collar and fork.<br /> thanks fish

Dunaruna

Admiral
Re: Volvo 270 Stern Drive Vibration

Hi fish,<br /><br />I've recently chased and fixed the same problem. This is what I did:<br /><br />1. Replaced uni joints, they looked and felt o/k.<br /><br />2. Replaced gimbal bearing, shot to h*ll.<br /><br />3. Replaced vibration damper, shot to h*ll.<br /><br />3. Replaced steering pivot bushes & seals, shot to h*ll. This also greatly improved the low speed 'wander' and fixed a problem I had with air entering the raw water intake.<br /><br />You can access the gimbal (main shaft bearing) by removing the upper gear housing, if its stuck you will need to pull the engine and remove the bellhousing to allow access to a press. Engine removal to do the vibration damper. I know of no issues regarding alignment problems (like mercruisers), maybe a tech can clarify this.<br /><br />I agree that the cylmer manual dropped the ball when it came to anything between the upper gear housing and the flywheel. Their are just to many variations. You will need a genuine manual or time and patients to familiarise yourself as you are tearing it down. You can try for a genuine manual here:<br /><br /> http://www.marineengine.com/manuals/volvo/ <br /> <br />Aldo

fish393

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks agian for conferming my suspitions.Not what I wanted to here.Think I could make it two more months until I pull it and where did you get the bushings and the bearings just incase I have problem with my source.

Dunaruna

Admiral

I got the repair kit for the steering pivot assembly from my local VP dealer, it was about $30 but we get ripped here in Australia, you'll probably find it cheaper.<br /> <br />I got the gimbal bearing, 'C' clips and bearing seals from a local bearing shop. They matched the parts I needed from the samples I gave them, everything S/S and they were a fraction of the cost compared to VP. <br /><br />I used a vibration damper from a big diesel application and machined it down to fit my flywheel, the springs can handle much more HP than the original VP damper. Some VPs' used dampers (looks like a clutch plate) and some used rubber couplers, you'll know when you remove the bellhousing. <br /><br />I 'googled' everything when I was looking for parts. Its an amazing reference tool when you get the hang of it.<br /><br />Aldo