volvo/mercruiser

mikbaek0

Cadet
Hi there.<br />Does anyone know if it possible to fit a Volvo Penta engine onto an Alpha One drive?<br />Got a great offer on a Volvo Penta 5.0 GXi but without the drive.

Dunaruna

Admiral
Re: volvo/mercruiser

Hi Mikbaek0,<br /><br />Do you know what year the 5.0 GXi is?<br /><br />Aldo

Wart T

Petty Officer 2nd Class

A Chevy is a Chevy is a Chevy.

mikbaek0

Cadet

Originally posted by Dunaruna:<br /> Hi Mikbaek0,<br /><br />Do you know what year the 5.0 GXi is?<br /><br />Aldo
it's a 2003 and the alpha one is a 1991.

Wart T

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You'll want to use Merc Brackets. You may find some bolt holes in the heads are different because of the years involved. I have never tried to make a complete Volvo with brackets and all fit into a Merc boat. The bellhousing bolt pattern will be the same, and the motor mount bolts will probably be the same. The heads will most likely have different bolt patterns on them for the alternator brackets, power steering, etc. That may require a little brain power on your part to get it all to work. You may have to buy the Merc brackets for the later year. It should all go together though. Remember, GM built those engines, not Merc and Volvo.

mikbaek0

Cadet

Thanks to all of you.<br />I guess it'll work out just fine now, because the thing that worried me the most, whas if the bellhouse and other things in that end wasn't going to fit. Thanks a lot.<br />-Mikkel.

Dunaruna

Admiral

mikbaeko,<br /><br />The reason I asked what year is that VP used 5.0L Chev & 5.0L Ford at various times. 2003 makes it a chev. The 'GXi' should have given me the clue but it was late :) <br /><br />Aldo