Volvo Penta BB70 oil cooler problem

wentworthto1

Recruit
Hi all,<br /><br />I have a 1962 Hydrodyne with a Volvo Penta BB70 engine. My oil is turning milky white because water is mixing with it. I found the problem in the oil cooler located on the starboard side of the engine. There is a leak along the seam inside the cooler housing. Any ideas as to what to do? Does anyone have a spare? Thanks for the help! ~ Todd

Dunaruna

Admiral
Re: Volvo Penta BB70 oil cooler problem

Hi Todd,<br /><br />I hate to say it but I don't like your chances of finding parts. Is that the 80hp 1.6L? Is the oil cooler round and flat and the oil filter screws onto it? If so it might be best to bypass it and fit an aftermarket cooler. Plenty of cheap ones available.<br /><br />Aldo

spacemanpete

Seaman Apprentice

Hey, Todd, I don't have an answer for you (sorry), but I'm wondering if you have any manuals -- repair or otherwise -- for your bb70?<br /><br />Peter

wentworthto1

Recruit

Hi Peter,<br /><br />Yes, I do have the whole parts catalogue as well as the Volvo Penta Aquamatic 100 instruction Book.

McKenzie

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Maybe one of the elder mechanics of this forum can support/reject this idea, but maybe you could retrofit a power steering cooler off of a newer boat. Just throwing it out there.

spacemanpete

Seaman Apprentice

The Aquamatic 100 is a bit of a bigger engine, isn't it? Otherwise, are they fairly similar?