Volvo AQ170B and outdrive?

jstaab

Cadet
I have a Volvo AQ170B with a either a 270 or 280 outdrive with the mechanical lift, which is broken. The first question is, has anyone managed to attach a real tilt and trim? I pretty much know the answer to this, which leads to my next question. Are there any other outdrives that have tilt and trim that will attach to the AQ170B?

f_inscreenname

Commander
Re: Volvo AQ170B and outdrive?

There is a kit or two on line (home made looking) but they cost more then it would to convert to a Volvo drive with trim. One day I will find the perfect deal that will make me change mine to trim. You need everything from the bell housing back and that aint cheap.

jstaab

Cadet

Do you happen to know of newer or new stern drives that fit this setup? Obviously the transom shield needs to be replaced (other post). It would be nice if something fit the existing hole in the fiberglass, but I'm not getting my hopes up. I was looking at prices for new and used stern drives, and they aren't cheap by any means. I've seen rebuilt ones starting at $1000 and then obviously ranging on up to $5k on up new. The problem is, I don't have a clue what, if anything will fit the OLD engine. I'll probably need to check around with some local boat guys, I'd imagine they deal sigh this all the time.

f_inscreenname

Commander

That is the big thing you need to replace is the transom shield. Like I said you need to find everything from the shield back (and any hydraulics that go with it) in say a 290.There is others but I am not sure which ones without looking at it but I think the shield is a standard size for a lot of drives. When it gets into the newer drives like the SX I don't think they will match to your bell housing. The holy grail would be to find a boat that was being parted out with what you need (in your gear ratio) but that happens few and far between. I saw it once on e-bay but it was to far away and the shipping would have been to much. One day a deal will come along and I will be forced to do it. I have a newly rebuilt Mercrusier 888 (just drive) in the back room (I was going to use but I don't want to install a new transom in my boat to make it work) that I would trade for a Volvo 290 or better and take the loss so I could have trim.

jstaab

Cadet

I've priced some items out, whether or not they fit, and came up with some rough prices. My overall conclusion is to band aid fix everything for now, and purchase newer late model boat in the near future. Since this is an old boat that we pruchased, the interior would need reworked, which is what i planned on doing. However, finding some of these mechanical problems, it doesn't seem to be worth the effort at this point. For what some of the stern drives cost, and considering installation fees, and possible fiberglass work, that puts me in the price range of a late model used boat. Heck, I've found a like new, 1996 19' boat for $8k. Brand new stern drives seem to be going for $3k to $4k. If I spent all that on a new stern drive, I'd still be left with an old boat. Oh well, fixing it was wishfull thinking :)