volvo 5.7 gi bogs at WOT

snyyyper

Cadet
recently bought a 1994 23' cuddy cabin with a 5.7 volvo gi. the boat accelerates and planes fine unless you push the throttle wide open, then it bogs........whether you are just taking off or at speed. it will also only turn about 4000 RPM and if I try to give it any more throttle once it reaches 4000, it will bog and lose speed until I back the throttle off a bit. Changed the spin-on fuel filter and ran some inj. cleaner through it with no relief. wasn't a big deal until I had the boat loaded with 6 adults and I need WOT to plane out....took forever since I could only give it 80% throttle......engine only has 150 hours on it. does this sound like a fuel prob. or an ignition prob?

a.d.mobile

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: volvo 5.7 gi bogs at WOT

fuel prob- sounds like you starving on the low pressure side. check the anti-syphen valve which is in the tank pick up. remove it and look inside for debris stuck around the ball. this is the attaching side of the fuel line at the tank.

snyyyper

Cadet

okay, I just checked the anti-siphon valve and it appears to be working freely and properly. I then checked the low pressure fuel pump, and the wiring connector was on, but the metal clip was not in place, so possibly it hasn't been helping the high pressure pump? I attached the plug properly, then unhooked the high pressure pump plug and turned the ignition on and listened to make sure the low pressure pump was coming on and it is, so now I guess I'll have to lake test

a.d.mobile

Petty Officer 1st Class

well how did it go? is this a injected motor!

snyyyper

Cadet

yes, this is an injected motor....I lake tested it on Sunday and the problem is fixed. Don't know for sure if it was the loose low pressure fuel pump connector or if I fiddled with the siphon valve and fixed it. Either way you were right. Thanks so much for the help.