Engine back-flush Volvo Penta 3.0

Casmoboy2171

Cadet
It was suggested to me in a previous post that I should back-flush my 3.0 Volvo Penta to make sure that I did not have any left-over impeller parts after the new one was replaced. How do you do this? Anyone have pics? Also, there was a wire un-hooked on the side of the carb. when I was looking at it the other day. Any ideas?

Dunaruna

Admiral
Re: Engine back-flush Volvo Penta 3.0

Hi Mike,<br /><br />Fresh or raw water cooled? What year, outdrive etc.?<br /><br />The wire could be from the auto choke, look for a lonely connection - just a thought.<br /><br />Aldo

Casmoboy2171

Cadet

2002 3.0GS Volvo Penta with SX out-drive. Running hot only at WOT.

Dunaruna

Admiral

Mike,<br /><br />The 3.0L SX has RWC as standard, FWC was an option, thats why I asked the question.<br /><br />First, get a manual. You will need to connect a garden hose and reverse flush the system and check for bits of rubber lodged in little hiding places. Where you connect and what areas you check depends on what system you have. I suggest a genuine manual, the seloc & clymer won't be model specific. I read your other thread, running without a thermostat is bad news. As rodbolt said, get another mechanic.<br /><br />Did I mention get a manual.<br /><br />Aldo

Casmoboy2171

Cadet

I will go back to the mechanic and request that my thermostat be re-installed. Also, do you know where I can get the Original Volvo manual. My system is raw water as I now know. Thank you for responding!!!!

Dunaruna

Admiral

Chris,<br /><br />Maybe I'm getting to old but I'm constantly being surprised by the amount of information available over the internet, that is an excellent site and definetly one for the VolvoPenta favorites. Thanks.<br /><br />Aldo

Casmoboy2171

Cadet

Well, I finally got my thermostat back in the boat and got time to get it in the water. The temp bounced around a bit but never got above 190. I finally ran it up to 5000RPM for about 5 minutes and my alarm started going off. I backed off of the throttle and the alarm stopped. the whole time, the engine never got above 190. Could my alarm sensor be bad after getting so hot when the impeller went out? I called about a manual and they are not out yet. Any thoughts?

Dunaruna

Admiral

190 is too high, the sensor is probably working fine. <br /><br />I don't have the exact specs for your motor but generally speaking a raw water system has a 140 deg thermostat which means your gauge will read 150 to 170. Is it possible you have fitted a fresh water thermostat?<br /><br />Aldo

Casmoboy2171

Cadet

I don't know. The mechanic ordered it straight from Volvo. I will be very glad when I get a manual. The thermostat opens up at around 150. My operating range for most of my day was 150-170. it seems like I still have some debris that needs to be flused out. At idle, the boat is around 150. I assume that a fitted fresh water thermostat is one that you would get at the local auto parts store. Am I right?

Dunaruna

Admiral

Fresh water thermostat is around 160/170 and will give an operating temp of 180 to 200. Your Thermostat sounds like its working fine - so here we are back at the beginning, flushing you cooling system. <br /><br />I don't have a manual and I'm not familiar with the 2002 model 3.0L but the VP website says it has a raw water flush fitting built in, have you tried that?<br /><br />Aldo