97 Volvo 5.7 GS Water in Oil

wsimpson

Cadet
Didn't get a chance to winterize and now a mix of water and oil are on the top of the motor and water shoots out the right side just under the exhaust. It still runs fine. What should I start looking at to resolve the issue before the engine fails?

Thank You,

Wayne

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 97 Volvo 5.7 GS Water in Oil

I agree, pull the intake manifold off and look in the lifter valley, you will probably easily see the crack. Also look around the head. Another place to look (only on Volvo that I am aware of) is the bottom of the intake manifold under the thermostat housing.

wsimpson

Cadet

Wow, didn't think it was this bad. Here is a video of it running.

Can this engine be replaced with any GM 5.7? Where is the cheapest place to pick up one? Is used or rebuilt a good idea?

Don S

You have what we in the marine repair business call JUNK.

wsimpson

Cadet

You have what we in the marine repair business call JUNK.

Understood, I am currently going though a divorce and taking my three son's out fishing is all we do. I hate to ask this question, but does this look like J B Weld could hold for a season or is not worth the time? The oil pressure is good and the temp never gets hot. Just checking all the options.

Thank You

twostroke87

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You mean the oil pressure on the oil in your pan? Or the oil/water mixture pressure on the oil/water mixture in your pan? Whatever that gauge is reading is pressure on a bunch of crap water/oil goo. Your Only running it on a hose I'm guessing, once in the water your that engine won't last long. Especially if its in salt water. JB weld might stop that EXTERNAL water leak you have, but it will do nothing for the impossible to fix internal water leak you have.

If you do attempt to drive it, I would buy a towing membership. Because you won't make it back from the first trip most likely. Start shopping around for another engine.

Don S

I hate to ask this question, but does this look like J B Weld could hold for a season or is not worth the time?

Not a snowballs chance in .................

wsimpson

Cadet

Is Rapido the best value for replacement or is there a better place?