Removing Volvo Penta DP-C1 Outdrive

cc190cc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey guys,

I have a 94 volvo penta dp-c1 1.95 outdrive which i am trying to remove so i can bring it for service. Can anyone provide me with directions on how to take this thing off, it appears to be a bit more involved than the standard mercruiser for sx series units.

Im going to continue to research this but figured i would ask.

Chad

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Removing Volvo Penta DP-C1 Outdrive

What kind of service?????
If you are just planning on replacing the bellow, you do not have to remove the complete outdrive.

cc190cc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

To be honest i bought this boat with a blown motor. I just finished replacing motors, runs good. Owner said the outdrive was good but i have no service records or history. Looking at the replacement cost of this unit i dont wanna mess around. I wanted to bring it in and have it completely gone through. Also this boat is left in the water and the drive really needs paint.

WHen i grab the drive it rocks side to side just a little, it seems maybe the gimble bearing or something may be worn out.

I can post pics if necessary.

Chad

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

There is no gimbal bearing on that type of outdrive. The play in the steering is usually from worn bushings on the steering fork shaft that goes up through the transom shield.
Here is the service manual for that outdrive http://www.4shared.com/file/48536730/fa3b3311/280_to_DP-C_Drive_manual.html.
Starting on page 25 of the manual shows how to remove the outdrive.
A couple of notes not in the manual. The pivot pins can be easily removed by using a BRASS (Never steel) punch, drive the pins towards the bellows.
Change the bellows, if you are keeping the boat in the water, they should be changed every other year. Doesn't require a drive pull to do it either. Takes me about 1/2 to 3/4 hour to change bellows and gear lube in those drives.
Also make sure you grease the splines on the props. They are too expensive to have to cut off.

Burns363R

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Can someone tell me which link to click to download the manual without clicking on the wrong one and getting spammed?