Volvo Penta 5.7OSi/XDP Problems?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pred02

Seaman
Hi,
We are looking into purchase a 05 FW with VP 5.7OSI and the XPD drive. Googling the XDP VP drive lots of threads come up outlining the problems with the drive.

Should we stay away from the XPD drive or are these exaggerated and can be managed?

Thanks

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Volvo Penta 5.7OSi/XDP Problems?

I have been a Volvo tech for many years, and would only own an IO boat powered by Volvo. The Volvo drives are great ........................ Except for the XDP, that is the worst drive Volvo ever invented. The inside is typical Volvo and no problem, but the attaching method, the bellows that always leak, and in general it's a PITA to work on.
Probably why Volvo discontinued the line.

Personally, I would NEVER even consider a boat with an XDP drive on it.

tkrfxr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi,
We are looking into purchase a 05 FW with VP 5.7OSI and the XPD drive. Googling the XDP VP drive lots of threads come up outlining the problems with the drive.

Should we stay away from the XPD drive or are these exaggerated and can be managed?

Thanks

Pass it up.

I own two XDP drives, and have learned to take care of them....the hard way, and with no support form Volvo.

If you don't know what you are getting into, don't do it.

Even though it looks like the V.3 bellows are holding up, I do not advise anyone to buy them, unless they get a really, really good price, or some support for service (which does not exist for a discontinued drive)

There are other issues with the composite technology....look at the end of this thread for the picture of a fractured composite gimbal ring....this will cost a bundle to replace...

http://www.rinkerboatowners.com/forum/index.php/topic,6749.0.html

On the bright side, the drives are really quiet, shift smoothly, and ride very comfortably, even for my 34 foot boat. It has to do with the internals, which are (presumably) volvo duoprop stock.

So, my advice is to go for a regular volvo drive, time tested, and with plenty of parts and support available. I cannot comment on the new Ocean-X drives, which presumably have the old-fashioned design, with new metal-anticorrosion-technology, and added perks for monitoring gear lube and bellows integrity. It's just too new to tell if they will hold up as the old DPS duoprops...

-Good luck.

NJTOW

Cadet

I own these drives and as of right now we are still trying to work a resolution with V-Penta & Manufacturer I won't say anymore & will let the picture speak for itself images[1].jpg

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

I am with DonS on the XDP, run faster than NJTOW.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

Hi,

Thanks

stay away...I heard and read bad things about them and also heard they are discontinued...the new Volvo salt water drive is now the Ocean X....the latest bellows MAY have solved the water intrusion problem but their bad rep will result in low resale values...

I don't think their recent products have been as good as the old 270/280 style or even the SX style...first the OSI then the trim pump problems in the latest drives (but that may be an easier problem to solve than the OSI's)...

pred02

Seaman

This is too bad as we found a clean and a nice boat in our area that we like, however it has this drive. Nevertheless, thanks for the heads up, this will help us avoid headaches in the future.

I presume for VP - regular DP drives are ok? Are they also ok for Saltwater? We are going to use the boat solely in the Adriatic

Thanks

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

This is too bad as we found a clean and a nice boat in our area that we like, however it has this drive. Nevertheless, thanks for the heads up, this will help us avoid headaches in the future.

I presume for VP - regular DP drives are ok? Are they also ok for Saltwater? We are going to use the boat solely in the Adriatic

Thanks

If you are dry storing it, either Merc or Volvo is fine. But if you are storing it in a slip or mooring, and this is an area of heavy marine growth like barnacles,. I'd re-consider. An I/O is a lot of work in that environment, I have done it here and would think twice about doing that again. The anti fouling paints we can use for aluminum just do not work well. You really have to pull it every 3 months to clean and repaint the drive. For long term salt water storage an outboard, inboard or V-drive would be much less work....

pred02

Seaman

If you are dry storing it, either Merc or Volvo is fine. But if you are storing it in a slip or mooring, and this is an area of heavy marine growth like barnacles,. I'd re-consider. An I/O is a lot of work in that environment, I have done it here and would think twice about doing that again. The anti fouling paints we can use for aluminum just do not work well. You really have to pull it every 3 months to clean and repaint the drive. For long term salt water storage an outboard, inboard or V-drive would be much less work....

We would moor the boat for 3 months in the summer. The rest of the time it would be stored in a dry marina.

Don S

We would moor the boat for 3 months in the summer. The rest of the time it would be stored in a dry marina.

It doesn't matter if it only goes in the water for one day per year. Avoid the XDP, or did you miss the previous replies.

akean

Recruit

I have been a Volvo tech for many years, and would only own an IO boat powered by Volvo. The Volvo drives are great ........................ Except for the XDP, that is the worst drive Volvo ever invented. The inside is typical Volvo and no problem, but the attaching method, the bellows that always leak, and in general it's a PITA to work on.
Probably why Volvo discontinued the line.

Personally, I would NEVER even consider a boat with an XDP drive on it.

If the Volvo Penta XDP out drive with the Volvo 5.7 Osxi motor is replaced on the boat with a brand new steel Volvo DPS Outdrive would you consider buying the boat? Or are there other issues that I'm unaware of that I should be considering?
Thank you

GA_Boater

If the Volvo Penta XDP out drive with the Volvo 5.7 Osxi motor is replaced on the boat with a brand new steel Volvo DPS Outdrive would you consider buying the boat? Or are there other issues that I'm unaware of that I should be considering?
Thank you

Start a new thread. You quoted and asked a question of a member sailing with angels.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.