Volvo Penta 2.3 1986 bayliner capri 1950 NO SPARK!

drewgoeke

Cadet
Hey guys,

So I have combed through the already existing forums to finds something that can relate to the problem that I have to no avail. So I decided to post it here. Heres the story:

About a month ago I took my boat to a small lake where we usually go for a quick boating trip. I put the boat in the water and did a couple of laps around the lake before finding my friends. I beached the boat next to everyone that I knew and socialized for about two hours. The motor had plenty of time to cool down and when someone asked me to move it closer to play music I jumped in and it wouldnt start. After doing some praliminary diagnosing I found that the engine was getting plenty of fuel....but absolutely no spark. I had to be towed back to the landing.

Figured that my coil had gone bad. Ordered a new one specific to the volvo. Before I swapped it out I tried starting it in the garage. It fired right up!!! WTF! So I changed it out anyway and through the old one back in the boat just in case.

Took another trip and got on the water no problem again. Did a lot of boating without turning off the engine at first. Stopped at a bar and couldn't get it started again!!!! My dad said the coil might be getting hot. So we let it cool.....and guess what it started. Problem solved right....WRONG. We stopped at another bar and it would even fire. I put the old coil back on and it started right up again.

So my question is.....why is the coil getting so hot that it wont fire. I've bought a new one and the same problem seems to happen. Is there some kind of regulator or arrestor that may be bad that sends the coil power? I've seen a lot of people switch over to electronic ignition, would this be a good idea? The orginal ower just had the points changed and adjusted two years ago if that helps too.

Any ideas? Because I hate to look like an idiot on the lake changing my coil all the time.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Volvo Penta 2.3 1986 bayliner capri 1950 NO SPARK!

Ayuh,... With the key On, what's the voltage at the (+) terminal on the coil,..??

JustJason

Vice Admiral

The orginal ower just had the points changed and adjusted two years ago if that helps too.

Points are a once a year item. They do wear and tear, and wear out. You can see if they are working and set correctly by hooking up a dwell meter to them.

drewgoeke

Cadet

I have not checked the voltage at the coil terminal. I will see what it is. Also, I guess i'll have to check the points again. I've been told they should be set at .20. That sound right to everybody?

JustJason

Vice Admiral

Can set the points with a feeler gauge or with an eyeball and that should be good enough to get it started. However, the correct way to set the points is by setting the dwell angle with a dwell meter. It should be stamped on the flame arrestor cover what the correct dwell setting is.

drewgoeke

Cadet

Would the points being off explain why when I change the coils out it fires up every time though? Cuz to me if it is a point problem then it wouldn't fire when I change the coils when they are hot. But now when I change out the coils after they are warm it will run.

JustJason

Vice Admiral

You probably have an intermitent condsensor, which is part of the points set. Replace it.

FYI, if you havent done so, now's a good time to look at the cap and rotor, spark plugs, and plug wires too.