Volvo outdrive won't go up

meadmojo49

Cadet
1990 Volvo Penta 290 duoprop put in water this morn and it went down but not up. Can hear motor when going down , but no noise at all when using switch to go up. There is a trim tab on the throttle for up and down for the outdrive... there is another switch on the dash for the outdrive and another labeled for trailering that puts it up and locks for trailering. None make any motor noise when put to the up position. It was in the water 3 months ago and worked fine. I was working on the boat to replace the manifolds, risers, starter, a GPS fishfinder and installed a heat exchanger.... they all work fine and I can't think of anything that I could have done ...anyone to help knock the bolts loose in my brain ?

nikk

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Volvo outdrive won't go up

check relay also maybe there is a losse wire connection :eek:

dawgtick

Recruit

Hobie49 - I am having the same problem. Any luck?

jawzzy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I found that mine will go down with the push of one down button, but I HAVE to push BOTH up bottons (trim and tilt) to get it to go up, just in case that helps. I damaged my prop before finding that one out:(

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

While you may have a corroded relay or a loose wire or a bad relay at the trim pump, Volvo had out about 3 different sytems for that model.<br />Some had gauges, black boxes, potentiometers plus different relays under the dash.<br />Now, I have to ask what model engine you have. You also have listed a Chaparral 2350 SX Dualprop Is this the boat??? Because an SX is not a Dualprop, it's a single prop. And if this 290 duoprop is the SX style, that's different too.<br />So, what are you working on.....really.