Replacing existing Volvo AQ151C: Any recomendations?

jpmack

Cadet
Current Setup:
Volvo Penta AQ151C - dated 1988 or '89
Volvo PowerTrim 290 Drive - still in working condition.

Well after days of trying this and that and all this other stuff, i'm coming to the conclusion that my engine is frozen beyond repair. I'm giving it one last soak with Marvel Mystery oil over night and after tomorrow i am going to start looking for a new engine.

The question is where do i begin to look for an engine? Can I keep my current sterndrive? What can i expect to pay to replace this engine. Do i look for the same rebuilt/remaned Volvo AQ151C or is there a comparable engine that will replace it with very little tweaking?

I am looking at doing this my self and have already begun the dismanteling process (have the strerndrive upper gearbox removed). It looks fairly straight forward. Couple motor mounts, hoses, wires and water intake/exhaust.

AQ171C270SP

Cadet
Re: Replacing existing Volvo AQ151C: Any recomendations?

Current Setup:
Volvo Penta AQ151C - dated 1988 or '89
Volvo PowerTrim 290 Drive - still in working condition.

Well after days of trying this and that and all this other stuff, i'm coming to the conclusion that my engine is frozen beyond repair. I'm giving it one last soak with Marvel Mystery oil over night and after tomorrow i am going to start looking for a new engine.

The question is where do i begin to look for an engine? Can I keep my current sterndrive? What can i expect to pay to replace this engine. Do i look for the same rebuilt/remaned Volvo AQ151C or is there a comparable engine that will replace it with very little tweaking?

I am looking at doing this my self and have already begun the dismanteling process (have the strerndrive upper gearbox removed). It looks fairly straight forward. Couple motor mounts, hoses, wires and water intake/exhaust.
Hey I am sure if you soak with the marvel the engine will free up if seized from sitting with moisture.As far as replacing engine you can get a block from a auto recycle center and basically put your external parts on it.you should also change the head gasket as the marine one is made differently as it is subjected to salt and made to withstand.I never owned a volvo penta until this year when I got a project. Its a you guessed it AQ171C 4 cyl twin cam dual carb, and I love it its got power, speed and runs great.I have had to re-seal the coolant seals, bellows,and because I removed the whole outdrive I decided to put universals in it.they were a little tuff getting them out but they had some movement in them and I didnt feel good about putting it back together that way.Ps since the bellows protect the u-joints from water I opted to go to auto parts store and the salesperson let me match my old ones up.I replaced my u-joints for the grand total of 24.00. and they have zerk fittings so I can grease them as part of my own maintenance.Hope you get yours going. what state are you in? Ps make sure you inspect block for all the proper holes for brackets and plumbing.I have used auto blocks in the past but they were ford inboards

Last edited:

jpmack

Cadet

Im in the state of Indiana, i found a base engine at Michigan Motorz. They want $2000 for it plus $130 shipping. My understandiing is that I will need to purchase the 12 3/4" flywheel from them because the standard 14" that coms with it wont fit my older motor setup. So if i get this base engine:

http://www.michiganmotorz.com/base-marine-engine-19672010-replacement-p-67.html

All my other componets (alt, starter, fresh water cooling, carbs, intake manifolds ect) everything from my exsisting motor WILL transfer over (so long they are in working condition)?

captmello

Captain

The aq151 is not a 3.0 engine. that engine will not work.

jpmack

Cadet

i realize its not a 3.0L, but it will work with pre 1990 2.5L and 3.0L. So it says?

captmello

Captain

i realize its not a 3.0L, but it will work with pre 1990 2.5L and 3.0L. So it says?

Ya, unfortunately, yours is volvo 2.5. It doesn't swap with the 2.5 GM based engines.

I think I'd continue to try to revive/rebuild the engine you have or look for a replacement volvo engine.

jpmack

Cadet

Ya, unfortunately, yours is volvo 2.5. It doesn't swap with the 2.5 GM based engines.

I think I'd continue to try to revive/rebuild the engine you have or look for a replacement volvo engine.

i'm at lost as to what else to do to revive it. I guess at this point I will pull the engine and at least get it into my garage. As far as rebuilding it, i would have no clue where to begin, not even sure if the block is still any good, do to an improper winterizaition by previous owner (possibly cracked, water in oil)!

The engine base that i was looking at says it is a volvo replacement:

?New GM base marine engine (standard rotation)
?3.0L base engine includes: engine block, cylinder head, valve cover, oil pan, circulation pump, harmonic balancer, flat tappet cam, 14" flywheel, spark plugs, corrosion resistant black urethane paint and all internal parts.
?One-piece rear main seal (also known as full rear main seal)
?Mechanical fuel pump pad
?Rated at 140 hp @ 4800 / 177 LB FT @ 2800 with 2-barrel carburetor. (actual power levels may vary depending on OEM calibration and application)
?Direct replacement for 1990-2010 3.0L OMC, Volvo Penta, MerCruiser, etc.
?Will work for pre-1990 2.5L & 3.0L applications with updated 12?" flywheel and updated engine coupler.
?Includes thermostat housing gasket and intake gasket.

I'm comfused as to why your saying this wont work for my pre-1990 (1988) volvo engine?

robjen1019

Petty Officer 1st Class

I put a aq225 in place of my aq151. I had to switch lower units for the v8 drive ratio and raise the motor mounts 2 inches. (I just glassed in a 2x4 on the stringer. The distance from the transum to the mounts was the same.
As for replacement, try to find a aq171. They are awesome. But the 151 is a good motor too. The blocks are the same as the ones in the volvo 740s back in the late 80's.

captmello

Captain

A used Automotive block may be your best bet if your current block is bad.

Once and for all...Yes, Volvo did begin using the 3.0 engines in the mid 90s. They mated the engine with the sx series outdrives which are completely different from your 290. It will not work for you.

If you have a 2500 budget, you should be able to find a good used auto block, Have it rebuilt, and swap all your other parts to the new block.

Can you do the engine install yourself? Saves money and isn't too difficult.

Or switch to a V8 like Robjen, also switch your outdrive and motor mounts.:eek:
Sounds like Work!!! But then, he likes to "tinker";)

Keep us up to date on your project.:)

jpmack

Cadet

Well this is a major bummer, i had intended to do the engine swap myself. I had figured a budget around $2500. I plan to pull the boat and engine into the garage this winter and make a project of it.

But, this whole engine is getting the best of me. Just when I thought I had found a replacement base engine, now back to square one. How do i go about looking then for an exact mach a replacement? I've searched the internet high and low and keep only coming across this GM engine. Any help into a direction to start look would be appreciated.

robjen1019

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you do a search on ebay for volvo penta, there are a few aq131's if you don't mind going a little lower in hp. I watch ebay every day and a 151 or 171 comes up about once a week. Not sure, but I know that volvo used the strait 6 gm made. Believe 170 hp. Might be able to squeeze that in there, but exaust will be different. An aq 131, 151 or 171 will bolt right in. I believe they also call the 171 a 230 or 250.
MMO for a few days ontop of the cylinders should do the trick.

AQ171C270SP

Cadet

JP I have a lead on a rebuidable AQ171C. I am down in Florida and we have a lot of boat salvage yards in my area, west coast. If you like I can go check out the price for you and get you the name and number.I still think if I had a budgetof 2500 I would tear the one you have out of the boat and rip it down and find out what caused it to seize. Take it one step at a time and before you know it the motor will be apart.Then take it to a machine shop in pieces the block, head, etc. Get the block boiled have cylinders checked and get the work that is needed done.Have the crank checked, the cam checked then the valves and seats and get a valve job done to the head if needed.by the time you are done you will have a rebuilt motor and you will know what you have and you will have plenty left to take the wife out for dinner.yes it will be a winter project but you will have the satisfaction of having done the job yourself and with help of a lot of good people on iboats. Oh and follow Don S. His advise and expertise is 2nd to none.And just a quick note to my ID its AQ171C270sp Actually my drive is a SP-A

jpmack

Cadet

AQ171C270SP, thanks for the info on the lead, unfortunetly I am in indiana, and i'd be afraid to see what freight would cost to get that up here, especially with out looking at it my self first! With that said, i had been tossing around the option of rebuilding this engine alone, but being there is a good chance that the block itself is cracked due to improper winterization of the previous owner. I am really looking along the line of just getting a base engine and transfering over my componets. But i am lost as to what is a good replacement for my Volvo AQ151C, also trying to find out what replacement engine would work with my Volvo 290 Drive!

captmello

Captain

Your engine should have been filled with antifreeze, making it much more difficult to freeze and crack. Is there antifreeze in the block now?

Your 290 outdrive will go with any of the engines mentioned previously, aq131,aq151,aq171, those same engines later became the 230,250,251.

As discussed before, a 2.5 ltr volvo auto engine block could be used and would be cheaper than buying a complete volvo marine engine.

jpmack

Cadet

Thats the thing, there was on antifreeze in it when i acquired it. I filled it and had leaks in 3 different spots. Today i just got the engine preped to be pulled tomorrow! I may have found a new ford 2.3 base engine that i can rebuild off of! Find out more on that tomorrow.

captmello

Captain

Thats the thing, there was on antifreeze in it when i acquired it. I filled it and had leaks in 3 different spots. Today i just got the engine preped to be pulled tomorrow! I may have found a new ford 2.3 base engine that i can rebuild off of! Find out more on that tomorrow.

Before breaking the motor down, you should pressure test the cooling system. See just where the leak are coming from.

I hope you don't plan on putting that ford engine in front of your 290 outdrive. It certainly won't work.

jpmack

Cadet

Whay wont the ford engine work? When talking to the engine tech, i gave him my model of volvo engine currently in the boat Volvo AQ151C and serial number, he said it is a 2.3L ford block and this is an exact replacement for that. I also asked him if there would be any issues hooking it up to my current Volvo 290 drive and also gave him that serial number. Am i missing something?

How do i find out my gear ratio for the drive?

Also with the upper gearbox removed is it still possible to trim the drive back up some with out damageing anything (I currently have the boat and trailer on jackstands and i need to tilt the drive up in to get the boat and trailer off the jacks and on the ground?

captmello

Captain

No, the AQ151 is a Volvo engine, not a ford, not a chevy, it's a Volvo.

Volvo Penta never used a ford 2.3. All the parts on your engine are made to fit on a Volvo motor, not ford.

Either the mechanic you talked to has no idea what he's talking about, or you guys are having a bad misunderstanding.

Your gear ratio is 2.15:1. That is the standard ratio for the outdrives mated to 4 cylinders of that era.

I think you should be able to tilt up the outdrive. I would keep it covered to keep any junk out of the outdrive.