Volvo flushing system?

McKenzie

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I was told by a friend that volvo penta has some sort of system that can flush the cooling system when the boat is moored. He didnt know much about it, nor do i, just that it exists. My manifolds and risers were fine for 10 years but once I finally got a mooring, my manifolds rusted through. I'd like to keep my new manifold/risers for just as long, so I need a way to flush while on the water. So heres my question: Anyone use or know this volvo flushing system? How does it work? Thanks!

McKenzie

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Volvo flushing system?

nobody knows anything about this volvo flush system?

burp

Petty Officer 1st Class

McKenzie, It's called Neutra Salt. Information about it can be found on the Volvo web site in their accessory catalogue. It runs around $150 for the kit.

McKenzie

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks burp! I was beginning to think i made this up

McKenzie

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I called some volvo penta dealers and asked about using this system on an OMC. They told be that I couldn't use the neutra salt system because the raw water supply was pressurized on an OMC, unlike a Volvo where the supply is vacuum drawn. Is there a way I can make this work on my OMC?

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

There is no way to do any kind of flushing on a mooring.You need a source of fresh water.Did I get it right ,you are moored?????? Charlie

McKenzie

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My boat is used at least twice a week, so its a lot easier to leave it on a mooring instead of trailering. Anyway, so I'm stuck with my manifolds and risers rotting away?

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

You can always convert to a fresh water cooling system.If you are desperate ,you can get a winterizing kit at West marine and fill it with water and use that to flush.Can you reach your outdrive to connect earmuffs by tilting up all the way??????????? Charlie

McKenzie

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I thought that the raw water in a fresh cooling system exited through the manifolds/risers anyway. Am I wrong?

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

There are different systems available.The risers,I believe are the minimum exposure you can get by with.Can you reach your o/d to secure muffs??????????

McKenzie

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I can reach the outdrive, sounds like a pain in the *** to do though

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

It is a pain,but if you want to protect your engine and your manifolds and risers,and you are on a mooring,you have no choices.I have a dock slip with water and electric and I still make sure to never leave my boat without flushing both motors.Sure its a pain,but it hurts a lot more when a riser fails and lets water into your motor and kills it. Charlie