Volvo AQ131

marhoades

Recruit
I have a 1988 4 cylinder aq131d and am experiencing a problem with the sea water cooling system. There is a cooper tube between the fresh water holding tank and the exhaust manifold. When I put the muffs on the lower unit, run the water and start the motor, fresh water comes out where the above mention copper tube connects to the fresh water holding tank (sprays past the rubber o ring.) I have removed this copper tube and the o-ring looked fine (smooth, no nicks or imperfections) and the copper tube looked fine (no cracks). I did not get to winterize the boat last year before the first hard freeze hit. There is no water in the oil and the antifreeze looks good (green and within limits). I don't know if this system should have any pressure to it or not. Any ideas?

Larry S

Cadet
Re: Volvo AQ131

I have the same motor which is a 1989. The problem that you describe sounds like a clogged exhaust manifold. If you haven't had you boat in the water, you will probably have an overheating problem because the ports are clogged. When you remove to check it out and find the ports clogged, don't try to clean it, just get a new one.