Need to identify model of volvo engine

Asa Phelps

Recruit
Hello, hope you guys can help. I have a 19' 1980 Renken. I don't know what engine it is. The badge on the valve cover is destroyed. It could be my imagination, but I believe I can read volvo and 125 on the sticker. However, I know there is an A and B model. It is nearly impossible to see though since it appears to have been damaged by heat. Also, I have searched the block and have not found an engine badge either. Can anyone tell me where I should look, or another way I can identify the engine. The only other information I have is: It is a 4 cyl. and it has only 1 carb. It has a penta 270 outdrive. Thanks for looking, I really appreciate the help.<br />Asa

Dunaruna

Admiral
Re: Need to identify model of volvo engine

Asa, the aq125a & 125b are overhead cam (single) volvo engines. If you can find the engine number volvo will identify the engine. Look on the port side near starter motor mounting flange - it should be stamped on a plate. Workshop manual 'Clymer B770' shows pictures of engine number location. Good luck.<br />Aldo

zzzzz

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Asa-you can try: www.hlsm.com then scroll down to the Volvo link...they have a good ID page :cool:

Asa Phelps

Recruit

Thanks a lot, you are both very helpful. Turns out the engine is an AQ125A. Any idea where I could get a head for this? Guess I'll post a new topic. Thanks, you guys are great. I appreciate it.<br />Asa