Volvo 5.0 vs Mercruiser 5.0 I/O

saba97

Recruit
Am new to the forum. I am in the process of buying a new boat. Looking at 2 different boats. Both appear to be of equal quality and equipment. All except the engines. One comes with Volvo 5.0 the other Mercruiser 5.0. Which would be your choice and why? What are good points/bad points of each? Appreciate everyones input.<br /><br />saba97

a.d.mobile

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Volvo 5.0 vs Mercruiser 5.0 I/O

well the 5.0 volvo should be a GM engine as the other is. it is not a tru volvo engine. The diference is the drive you get with volvo merc is a clutch dog system been around for years and is proven just a little noisey on shift and has more moving parts to go stray. the volvo is a cone clutch drive is a lot quietter and has less moving parts no shift cable bellows no shift enterupter and no intermediate shift cable. the volvo cable comes from the control to drive where merc goes to the engine then to the drive with a shift interupter to aid shifting. both good systems. I think you get more bang for the buck with the volvo unit 5.0 ford or chevy is the same just different color. ask your sales guy. good luck A.D.

chris in va

Chief Petty Officer

I have a 1994 Caravelle with the Volvo 302 (Ford). I'm not really enthused with the power as it is just a 2bbl carb, but the outdrive works just fine and shifts good. <br /><br />One thing you might want to consider is the 4.3 Chevy motor over the 305, as HP ratings are pretty close but the gas consumption is much higher with the V8.

a.d.mobile

Petty Officer 1st Class

chris he is looking at a NEW boat it will probally be a fuel injected boat and depending on size you can't beat a V8.

Juancho

Seaman

What year are the two boats? Are they new or used?<br />I am sold on older Volvo outdrives, like the 270/280. Absolutley bullet proof. Nothing better. I'm not so sure about the newer Volvos however. Volvo boughtout OMC a few years back and used some of their components in their outdrives. OMC is absolute crap. Don't believe me, just count the number of problems people have with OMC in this forum. If you are looking for a good used boat, you will do just fine sticking with Volvo or Merc. If the boat has an OMC, RUN, do not walk away.

jeremyp111

Seaman

I agree with a.d.mobile, the real difference is in the outdrive as both engines are most likely GM blocks. Which drive comes with each setup you are looking at?<br /><br />Also, are they both fuel injected or carbeurated? What are the HP ratings?<br /><br />Both Mercruiser and Volvo make excellent drives.<br /><br />JP

akriverrat

Chief Petty Officer

it really comes down to which dealer you're going to be happiest with for maintainence and repairs.