Help with Volvo 5.7ltr V8 Speed problem

Ribfan

Cadet
I have a volvo engine 5.7ltr V8 1985, She idles smooth as you like, and in trolling speed she is a gem, but when you go to thorottle her, she gets upto 2500RPM and wont go any further, and sounds like she is missing on some cyl's?<br /><br />The temp is fine, everything i s fine says my dash, but she wont get over 2500RPM, i checked all the plugs were in place etc..<br /><br />Any help would be grateful<br /><br />to add, she is getting pleanty fuel, and spark from the coil is bright blue..<br /><br />would it be the condenser?<br /><br />Or dodgy lead or plug.. i am hoping it may be something simple to fix

echozulu

Seaman
Re: Help with Volvo 5.7ltr V8 Speed problem

hey stu if you have someone drive the boat while you pull plugwires one at a time you should be able to isolate your problem see if rpms drop fairly evenly on all cylinders if you have points thats probably the culprit without having more info, compression etc

jeremyp111

Seaman
Re: Help with Volvo 5.7ltr V8 Speed problem

Start with the basics. Check the spark plugs, points & condensor, timing, fuel filter, etc. When you pull the plugs check for water. You should also have a compression test done as said above if these other things are fine. This should get you started in the right direction.<br /><br />Good luck,<br /><br />JP