Volvo 4.3 coil going bad?

DaveM

Petty Officer 1st Class
Does a coil just up and fail or does it die an agonizing death? I was out motoring around all day seeing the sights and then stopped for a while. Headed out again about an hour later and the engine backfired through the carb a few times and then quit. There was plenty of gas shooting through the carb. It was too rough to check for spark at the time.<br /><br />It started up the next day in the driveway and ran at idle for 1/2 hour, then quit. It started right up again, but I had to increase the idle to 1000 rpm. It ran fine at that speed.<br /><br />Does this sound like the coil? Is there any way to test these things or does a guy just replace them every so often?<br /><br />This is a 1994 VP, so no points. How often does an ignition module go bad?

DaveM

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Volvo 4.3 coil going bad?

Excellent link. Now I just need to get one of those alligator clippy things. Are ignition components likely to fail? <br /><br />The boat is a 1994 with only 122 hours on it. The previous owners let it sit around quite a bit before I liberated it from them.

akriverrat

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Volvo 4.3 coil going bad?

mine is 1990 or 91 and no problems yet. even ran fair for a year with 3.0 rotor. 3/16ths shorter. starts and idles some better with right rotor.