Volvo 200 cuts out after 25 minutes at speed

Rickbaro

Cadet
My Volvo 200 (Chevy 305) runs great at 3700 rpm for about 20-25 minutes, then I'll feel the first stumble. A couple of minutes later, another, only more noticeable. The pattern repeats until the motor is cutting out and I’ve lost speed. The motor eventually dies, but will almost always restart as though nothing happened. Then it will run fine at lower rpms for the rest of the day. If I let it cool completely, I start from the beginning. After warm up, the temp gauge hold steady for the entire trip. <br />Fuel system has been completely replaced (except for tank which was pulled and cleaned, and four barrel Edlebrock which is recent installation).<br />Ignition looks good (points and condenser), plug wires soft and strong, wiring and connections good. <br />I’ve run gas from different stations and use a filter. I had a water separator on it but removed it due to the plastic bowl (not for I/O). Removal made no difference.<br />I put in an in-line fuel filter (yes I know, illegal) for testing purposes. When the cutting out occurs, air can be seen in the glass. I’m not sure if this is the cause, or a symptom.<br />Like I said it runs great for the first 20-25 minutes. This has been going on for months and I’m getting a lump from banging my head on the wall. I’d spend the money on a mechanic, but good ones for troubles like this are hard to find.<br />This happen to anybody else?

D

DJ

Re: Volvo 200 cuts out after 25 minutes at speed

Rick,<br /><br />Does it make a difference if you run it with the fuel filler cap loose?<br /><br />Also, you may have a coil breaking down.

Rickbaro

Cadet

The cap is alays tight, but my vent line is clean as a whistle. That was one of the first things I tried when I first bought the boat.<br /><br />Regardng the coil, if heat is breaking it down, wouldn't that happen sooner? Or is that not always the case with coils?<br /><br />Thanks

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

To check out your fuel supply, run a fuel pressure gauge. Watch what it does when it stumbles. If it goes down, you have fuel supply problems. This method helped my friend diagnose trash in his tank.<br /><br />I am not sure if this can happen in boats, but on a car, this sounds a lot like vapor lock. The fuel boils before it gets to the carb. The fuel pressure gauge will tell you if you have this problem.<br /><br />You can check for ignition problems by having a timing light connected while you drive your boat. Watch the light when the motor stumbles. If it gets erratic or misses, then you know it is an igntion problem.<br /><br />Hope this helps,<br /><br />Ken

Rickbaro

Cadet

Thanks<br /><br />I'm replacing the coil and points this weekend and I'll run it to see how it does. I have a timing light that I'll run outside the motor housing. <br /><br />I already put a pressure regulator on it. It would be nice to have a pressure guage. I'll try that after the timing light trick.<br /><br />Thanks

hoot

Chief Petty Officer

had an IL6 with similar problems, except wouldn't start for a while until motor cooled off. replaced fuel pump, resistance wire, ignition coil, no luck. replaced distributor cap & rotor button. old mechanic said to replace primary lead from points also. boat has run fine since, until this year, has another problem, not related.

sony2001

Chief Petty Officer

Near the fuel tank add an inline electric fuel pump. :cool:

Rickbaro

Cadet

Thanks hoot, I'll make sure I change the wires and spade connectors when I do the points<br /><br />Thanks sony, But putting an electric pump ahead of mechanical pump won't cause problems?<br />The fuel line is 6' long from the tank valve to the pump.

sony2001

Chief Petty Officer

Rick, it should have its own manual switch so you have a control. It can overide vapour lock if there is one, act as a spare for when the mechanical quits, and and even drain the tank at the end of season if you install a T connector. :cool:

Rickbaro

Cadet

I klnow what an antisiphon does generally, but where does it go on the boat? In the carb, or the fuel line? Before or after the fuel pump?<br /><br />Would that foul up after 25 minutes?<br />Thanks

akriverrat

Chief Petty Officer

supposed to be within 6" of tank pickup. electric fuel pump supposed to be wired through oil psi safety switch so it can't fill bilge if line breaks. another post i just read solved similiar problem by tightening hose clamp at tank. have you tried a new coil. this could be a heat related coil failure issue. buy the filter cartridge with metal bowl and get that filter/seperater back on there.