Volvo raw water pump...a warning!

chris in va

Chief Petty Officer
On the advice of others on here, I took out my raw water pump to change the impeller (especially since it was accidentally run without water for about 30 seconds). Got the sucker off, and guess what...the 3 bolts holding it together sheared off! I soaked them with PB blaster first, but crap, I should have waited a couple days or something.<br /><br />So, off to the Depot for a screw extractor. First off, these bolts are small, 1/4", so the drill bit ended up being somewhat off-center and I couldn't get a grip on the bolt. At that point I just said screw it and bought a 5/8 tap, drilling it out with a 1/4" bit. <br /><br />Guess what, the hole wasn't drilled straight and ate right into the O-ring seat. @!##%$%.<br /><br />Anyone know how much a new raw-water pump is?

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Re: Volvo raw water pump...a warning!

Probably a good idea to coat the threads on the new bolts with marine grease or OMC sealer to keep them from seizing up again. When I did the impeller on my Cobra the fac shop manual recommends using the OMC sealer (which never hardens) on the threads of the bolts to stop corrosion.