volvo 151 sputters and dies

gino45

Cadet
This morning it was dying repeatedly while on my way out fishing so I turned around and went in. Then in the washdown area it ran fine even when I revved it up.<br /><br />I have already:<br />replaced points and rotor<br />replaced fuel filter<br />replaced vacuum line<br /><br />Any suggestions as to what to do next?

akriverrat

Chief Petty Officer
Re: volvo 151 sputters and dies

what vacumn line? did you have water in your fuel filter? was the water choppy? that could stir up water in tank or be causing loose wire somewhere to make and break. fought the water and slime problem this spring and loose wire on ignition switch several years ago. it could be a multitude of things and really need more details.

gino45

Cadet

Water wasn't choppy or anything like that. At first I thought it was fuel filter--replaced. Then I did the points and rotor--no change. Finally found the loose vacuum? from fuel pump to carb, and I thought sure that would solve the problem; however, it did not. I don't think it's a loose wire problem, and I don't know what to do next.

Fouled Plug

Ensign

Am I correct in assuming it was conking out in gear, under load and then revved fine in the washdown area in nuetral?

akriverrat

Chief Petty Officer

that line is there in case the pump diaphram starts leaking the gas will go into the carb and not in the bilge. very worthwhile fix but probably no bearing on your problem unless there was gas in it.