Outdrive noise Volvo 280- -1977

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral
Just replaced exhaust elbow and fired my engine up for the first time this season.<br /><br />No leaks in coolant system. but when engine is running, you can feel a noticable vibration in your feet through the deck. It is not a consistant vibration or noise. Not like a bearing or gear problem. This goes on about every 5 to 10 second intervals coming and going.<br /><br />My first guess is the universal joints. Is there a way I can determine if it is the U joints or something in the outdrive. When I shift it into gear, forward/reverse, it makes no difference in the noise/vibration. Boat is NOT in the water. <br /><br />I do not want to launch until I know for sure. I have to use engine power to trailer this boat. At the lake there is no equipment big enough to lift my boat out. So I need to be sure that this problem is solved prior to launching. Thanks for any input.<br /><br />Further note: Oil in outdrive is so clean, it is hard to see on the dipstick. During last years use and oil change, there was no discoloration to the oil.<br /><br />Thanks......SS

Dunaruna

Admiral
Re: Outdrive noise Volvo 280- -1977

Check driveshaft bellow, if water has invaded and then boat is stored next thing you know the uni's and gimbal bearing have siezed (or siezing)This will make the noise you are describing, I know, it just happened to me.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

I pulled the outdrive, hooked up the hose and started the engine. No noise/vibration. Found one u-joint to be a little stiff but not siezed, Other u-joint with some play in it, about .006<br /><br />Pulled the drive gear/ujoint yoke out, inside unit clean, barely able to see any wear pattern on teeth. Slowly rotated gears/shaft, could not feel any roughness. Drive bellows was not leaking oil or water.<br /><br />Going to replace joints, bellows, and S-hose. Hopefully this will take care of the vibration/noise.<br /><br />Thanks.......SS

Gene70

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Sounds like you have a bad rod bearing in the bell housing assembly. If that is not it you could have a bad flex plate assembly. If you need more help you can call me at 1-800-949-2189 and I will FAX you a drawing of the area.