Timing a Volvo 3.0L

bohunk60

Recruit
Being somewhat of a novice, I am trying to time my 3.0L Volvo with electronic advance. The timing mark does a strange thing. It seems to settle at a particular point, then disappear. Only to show up again a few seconds later, and I can see it work it's way up the timing pulley and stabilize at the same point. Then do it all over again. Is this normal or am I seeing things or just loosing my mind?

akriverrat

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Timing a Volvo 3.0L

are you using your initial timing plug and not putting 12 volts to it untill the engine is running. check out marinemechanics.com/volvo/sb-34-2-5.htm .

bohunk60

Recruit

I was waiting for that question, no I was just watching the timing mark with the electronic advance enabled. I have the jumper to set the base timing and plan to check it out this weekend. Why do I not attach it to the 12V until the engine is running?

akriverrat

Chief Petty Officer

dont know, they just stress that point. is your idle holding steady during these meanderings? last dual carb volvo 4 banger i worked on, never could get the idle to steady out. up and down about 150 rpm. about 3 seconds high to low. is your timing light for sure ok?

bohunk60

Recruit

Idle sounds fine but I don't have a mechanics tach, I may get one though. The light works fine as far as I know. The moving timing mark disappears in quite regular intervals.