1996 Volvo Penta 4.3GLhesitates on acceleration

Cadet
Just purchased boat and notice on quick acceleration boat motor hesitates badly. If I move throtle slow no problem. Dealer thinks acclerator pump gummed up from sitting several months. Sounded logical but I'm no mechanic. Also the trim motor made different noise going down than up. Up sounded good and down sounded louder and had a squeel? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

a.d.mobile

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1996 Volvo Penta 4.3GLhesitates on acceleration

1. DO NOT DO THIS WITH ENGINE RUNNING!!!! on the acc-pump remove spark arrestor neutralize shifter have someone throttle boat why you look down throut of carb should see 2 streams of gas at a good rate. what carb holly or rochester 2 or 4 brl? timming could be the colpret? you have to shunt the dist to put it to base time then set.<br />2. the trim pump will make some different nosies up and down can you hear it while going accros the lake? if not no worry. there is more pressure on the way up then down making different noises. good luck...

Gene70

Petty Officer 3rd Class

You do have a carb problem. Repair the carbs by cleaning and installing new kits. I agree with a.d.mobile. Do not look into your carb with engine running. It could backfire and strike your face. That is fire coming out of it. Check your fuel filters and replace the elements. Adding new fuel will help. As for the tilt problems you need to check your tilt fluid. It should be red in color. If it is red it is okay. If it is tan you have water in the system. This will damage your pump. Trim lines or trim cylinders could be leaking and taking in water. This will cause a squeel. Have someome check it for you. Good luck

Cadet

Thanks for you help and input. Will try your advice this weekend. Thanks again.