Stupid Volvo Questions

wyomingben

Cadet
Ok, so I buy this boat without ever starting the engine, guy say it runs great, may need a little gas in the carb to get it going. I get it home and run down to the barn and get the Horse Water tank to lower the stern drive into. I check the oil in the engine (volvo 120 and stern drive volvo 270). I disconected the throttle from my single control so I can pump it if I need to. I turn to key and wants to run, but when I let the key off it dies, So I think bad gas, so I disconect the fuel tank line and stick it in a good gas. Still no run. I could smell the engine is flooded, I check for spark, got spark, Check carb float, not stuck, blew out carb jets, still no luck, then last night I woke up thinking maybe the exhast is plugged. So I go out this morning and slide the rubber down between the exhaust manifold and exhaust tube going to the stern drive. Started it up and sure enough it run, like crap of course being so loaded with fuel but it does stay running now. I guess my question is how come my exhaust is not going through the stern drive. I know nothing about stern drives, But I asume there must be a flapper valve to keep water from entering the engine. Could it be stuck? Is there something he did to winterize it that I need to undo? Where does the exhaust come out anyway? I assume at the prop? any help would be great and make me sleep better tonight.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Stupid Volvo Questions

Hi Ben.<br /><br />Don't know what your answer is, but you said you had a stupid question, too. Maybe I could answer that one.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

boatingfool

Chief Petty Officer

I cant think of anything that has to do with winterizing that would cause your problem.<br /><br />I have a volvo 125 with the 270 outdrive.<br /><br />Ive never had that problem.<br /><br /> There is a flapper on the outdrive where the exhaust is suppose to come out.<br />It is black and it is spring loaded closed and the exhaust pressure holds it open.<br /><br />Your exhaust and water come out the same place.<br />Is there water coming out??<br /><br />Wierd.

wyomingben

Cadet

Now that you mentioned it, there is no water coming out either, clear up where I slid the rubber down.

boatingfool

Chief Petty Officer

Not sure what kind of cooling sytem you have.<br /><br />Is it straight raw water or do you have a closed cooling system.<br /><br />If it is closed I believe the water enters the exhaust after the point where you are pulling the rubber boot back.

wyomingben

Cadet

Its a closed cooling system, there seems to be no water coming out the stern drive when the engine is running. It seems now I have to problems. Exhaust won't go through the stern drive and I'm not getting sea water curculation??

boatingfool

Chief Petty Officer

When I run mine on the hose it takes a minute or two for the water to come out the exhaust.Sometimes a little longer.<br /><br />When you pull the boot back the exhaust comes out there into the engine compartment and it will stay running??<br /><br />If that is the case when it is running goose the throttle and ewatch the outdrive exhaust for water.<br />I have to do that sometimes before I start to get water.<br /><br />This maybe a stupid question but the flapper on your outdrive isnt stuck shut is it??

wyomingben

Cadet

When I run mine on the hose it takes a minute or two for the water to come out the exhaust.Sometimes a little longer.<br /><br />Q=When you pull the boot back the exhaust comes out there into the engine compartment and it will stay running??<br /><br />A=YES It runs <br /><br />Q=If that is the case when it is running goose the throttle and ewatch the outdrive exhaust for water. I have to do that sometimes before I start to get water.<br /><br />A=I did that but still no water<br /><br />Q=This maybe a stupid question but the flapper on your outdrive isnt stuck shut is it??<br /><br />A= I thought of that, but where is it and how do I test it?

boatingfool

Chief Petty Officer

look just above your prop.<br />Yuo should see a little black cover that sits in the out drive maybe an inch.<br /><br />That is suppose to open up when the engine is running.It is the exhaust pressure that forces it open.<br /><br />It is hard to open with your fingers.<br />Take a screwdriver and try to lift it open from the bottom.<br /><br />BTW,<br />What kind of boat is this ??<br /><br />Signing off for now.<br />Got some errons.<br />Keep me informed.<br />I am very curious :confused:

wyomingben

Cadet

sea wolf

Lieutenant Junior Grade

i don't know crap about volvos, but is the engine overheating? have u checked the impeller in lower unit? by the way, that's a damn nice boat. hope u get her running. how bout some inside pics?

boatingfool

Chief Petty Officer

That small metal line in top of the picture is where the raw water leaves the heat exchanger into the outdrive.<br /><br />
volvo2.jpg
<br /><br />Where the out drive extends out past above where the prop would be is where my exhaust and water outlet is.<br />Yours does not have it. I dont see anywhere on there for water to come out.<br /><br />You did say it was a 270 right??<br /> <br />
sterndrive1.jpg

boatingfool

Chief Petty Officer

I think I may have figured out your problem.<br /><br />I just went and looked at my outdrive.<br />Look at this pic of your outdrive.Above the propshaft there is that round plate with the fin coming off it.<br />That is where my exhaust /water outlet is threaded into.<br />Why you just have the plate there I have no Idea.<br /><br />See if that plate will come off then try starting it up and see what happens.<br />If it is a 270 outdrive it should be the same.<br /><br />Let me know what you find.<br /><br />
sterndrive1.jpg

wyomingben

Cadet

https://www.onlinemicrofiche.com/OEM_Images/Volvo_images/3685_2K19.gif
3685_2K19.gif
<br /><br />Well I took it off and it runs great. I found this picture of what I should have. Why the heck do you suppose he sold me the boat this way. How much water is suppose to come out. I believe there is some, maybe a garden hose worth turn a 1/4 on. I feel better hearing it run, but I wonder what else I will run into. One thing is when I raise the tilt the catch does not disingage and I have to release it by hand. I see linkage going up but not sure how it is rigged, any insight into this? :confused:

wyomingben

Cadet

Late breaking News -<br /><br />I called the guy I bought the boat from, he said he had not run it since he had the lower Unit rebuild. He said he took it to the local Marina and they sent it off to be rebuilt. They reinstalled it on the drive. He said he sold it before he had a chance to run it. Could this be a honest mistake? Or should I be worried. Anyway THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP! I was pulling my hair out!<br /><br />PS. I'm going to call that Marina in the Morning, maybe they will make it right :)

boatingfool

Chief Petty Officer

Index #4 was what I was trying to explain to you.<br /><br />Why there was a plate there instead I have no idea??<br /><br />I'm glad we figured it out.<br /><br />I would call the guy you bought it from and see if he has the piece you are missing.<br />Ask him why the hell that plate was there.<br />He obviously wasnt running it that way.<br /><br />Water amount?? I dont get that much using the hose but I do get some.<br /><br />As far as the linkage,<br /><br />Never paid attention to it before because I havent had a problem.<br /><br />If you havent figured it out by tomorrow afternoon I will put my battery in after work and run the outdrive up and down to see how it unlocks.<br /><br />EDITED: You beat me to the post!

boatingfool

Chief Petty Officer

Now that we got all that out of the way,<br />That is a nice looking boat!!<br />Real sharp!<br /><br />
explorer1.jpg

boatingfool

Chief Petty Officer

wyomingben,<br />Do me a favor,<br />When you call the marina tomorrow price a plug wire set and a distributor cap for me.<br /><br />We have the same engine and outdrive.<br /><br />I just paid $92 for the plug wires and $60 for the distributor cap.<br /><br />Thanks,<br />Chad.