To Volvo-Penta or Not

sbluebird

Recruit
I'm new to boating and am looking at a boat with at Volvo-Penta 3.0 ltr engine and lower unit. I'm not sure if this is the route to go. I know that the Volvo is more expensive to repair or replace but is it a better set up than say a merc cruiser? Any information would be appreciated! :rolleyes: The Boat is a 1999 Glastron and I'm looking at paying approx. $8000 for the boat and trailer. Also is this a good price or should I be able to get something similar cheaper. The hull is in great shape no scratches, dings, chips,boat interior is just dirty.

Gene70

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: To Volvo-Penta or Not

I have been a dealer for both Volvo and Mercruiser for many years.Both engines are the same 3.0 181 cu.in. and same horsepower. Volvo has a far better outdrive. Volvo has a cone clutch for shifting gears. It has been around since the 50's and is a smooth shift. Volvo has no water pump in the foot. Mercruiser's water pump is in the lower outdrive. You have to remove outdrive to replace impeller. Performance between the two is very close but Volvo's outdrive will outlast Mercruiser's. The price on boat is in range for year and model. If you need any more information you can e-mail me at jmontgom@gulftel.com

boatingfool

Chief Petty Officer

Nevermind,<br /> The advice I was going to give was not nearly as informative as Gene70 ;)

DaveM

Petty Officer 1st Class

Gene70 said it best. I have been happy so far with my 1994 Volvo Penta 4.3GL-SX. My only complaint is the lack of readily available Volvo parts and service in my area--everything is Merc. It may sway your decision if you have to make a run into Milwaulkee (or Chicago) every time you need an oil filter.

sbluebird

Recruit

I'm sort of surprised. I would have expected that a 4.3 oil filter would be the same as the GM oil filter. I guess they must change the filter position on the block to accomadate something else. This boat is a bank repo and I guess I would like to know what you guys think if I put in an offer of $7,000 as I will not be able to get it into the water. I know they said they can hook up the water muff on the lower unit and run the engine and lower unit but will not be able to get it into the water. I had my brother check it out and the hull looks like new. No scrapes or dings, dents, etc. looks like showroom condition. Also all the gaskets and seals look new. Just a small hack out of the lower part of the lower unit, about 1/8-1/4" about 4 inches from the prop. The prop has some cavitation on it but other that that the lower unit and everything else looks brand new. some staining on carpet but has tilt wheel and most gauges w/exception of hour meter. so I don't know how much it has been used. Thanks for your help.

Doug Durako

Chief Petty Officer

Just me, but I would be a little shy on a bank repo without a mechanical survey and a test drive on the water----not possible now in your neck of the woods. Go out to BoatTrader.com or boats.com and search for the model you are looking at to compare prices. NADA and the Kelley Blue Book on boats are also good sources.<br /><br />I watched the internet for a year and missed two deals before I landed a boat with only 28 hours for $5K under retail.<br /><br />Any maintenance records on the repo boat? I have gotten very close to retail values for the boat and jet ski I sold because I had all the records and manuals. What's the oil look like in the drive and motor? If it's milky---beware.<br /><br />Do you have a Volvo/Penta dealer in your area?<br />They are gaining market share, but not too big yet in central Illinois where I live---still 75 percent Mercruiser here.