Correct fuel pressure for 2002 volvo penta 7.4 gsi

basscat348

Seaman
Key on goes to 25lbs for a second then drops to 5lbs.The engine will run for about 3 second thats all,I believe its the high pressure fuel pump supplying the fuel rail is why the engine wont stay running.Anyhow if you know what the pressure is supposed to be that would be helpful.

UPDATE

I have gotten the engine running.It will run fine at an idle but it will flat out not accelerate,when trying to do so the engine will excessively backfire.This engine has not been run in about 5 years the customer says and I believe that I am going to have to pull the injectors to be cleaned.I have drained all the fuel out put new fuel in with a can of sea foam hoping that would help clear it up but they may be to far varnished up.Whaqt do you think?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Correct fuel pressure for 2002 volvo penta 8.2 mpi

Re: Correct fuel pressure for 2002 volvo penta 8.2 mpi

What is your full model number or serial number. Volvo doesn't do anything by year.

basscat348

Seaman
Re: Correct fuel pressure for 2002 volvo penta 7.4 gsi

UPDATE

I have gotten the engine running.It will run fine at an idle but it will flat out not accelerate,when trying to do so the engine will excessively backfire.This engine has not been run in about 5 years the customer says and I believe that I am going to have to pull the injectors to be cleaned.I have drained all the fuel out put new fuel in with a can of sea foam hoping that would help clear it up but they may be to far varnished up.Whaqt do you think?

basscat348

Seaman

I just wanted to clarify that the engine is not backfiring out the exhaust but rather popping or backfiring in the air intake.

basscat348

Seaman

I have pulled out all the injectors and I'm taking them in monday for cleaning.I believe any boat that sits for 5 years the injectors are going to have to be cleaned.

basscat348

Seaman

I have cleaned the injectors and 4 of them were really bad and 2 were plugged up.I have reinstalled injectors and the problems still remains unsolved.The engine will run fine out of the water and as soon as I take it to the lake thinking its ok is when it runs like crap.I have even went so far as to take a remote tank with me to try an eliminate the boats fuel tank.I have taken both fuel pumps off wich are side by side on this model and ran cleaner thru them and fresh fuel.Boat started great at the lake today shot out of the hole today and on plane for about 100yards then it began popping and backfiring out the throttle body to the point that the engine would hardly even run.We barely got the boat back on the trailer because it would barely run,it ran so great out of the water I just cant understand it.I am thinking maybe it could be the map sensor but it looks like there is 3 of them according to the diagram I have looked at.

basscat348

Seaman

I kinda feel like Im talking to myself here , anyways I have replaced the map sensor after finally getting my software to check the engine out and looke for codes.It had code 33 for the map sensor.

I can now finally get the boat up on plane and run it BUT for just a short distance approx 3-4 miles at 30mph then the engine starts to loose power and then begins to backfire through the air intake.When this happens I can come off plane engine still idles fine but will not accelerate again.In order to get the boat going again I have to shut the boat off and turn the key on/off about 4-5 times without starting it and then on the 5th or 6th time I will start it and I can then run again for 4-5 miles at 30mph or I can go wide WOT for about 1 mile.I have good fuel pressure coming from the boats fuel tank to the low pressure pump but there does not seem to be a way to check the high pressure pump's pressure.I feel that the HPP is not performing the way it should but the Diacom software will not show low fuel pressure as a code.I have looked at the 7.4 mercruiser manual for any type of help but there are many different parts to there motor.Does volvo have a fuel pressure regulator?I know its a fuel problem and really think its the hpp but I just want to make sure before spending $900 on a pump kit.To bad volvo doesnt have a service line like mercury does where the average joe can call in.