need a Volvo 270 part, Got one?

f_inscreenname

Commander
I have a 1972 Volvo 270 outdrive and I need a clamp ring (what the steering helmet bolts to). Where the helmet screw goes into the ring the taped hole is striped out. The past owner put a helix coil into it and now the hole is in the shape of a funnel, so there is no chance of retaping it. I have resorted to pounding a brass fitting into the hole and pinning it into place from the sides. This was only a temp fix but I still haven't found a clamp ring for under $170.00. I cant see spending that kind of money on a part that I am sure someone has laying around on a blown up drive somewhere. If you have one let me know. I am sure we can work something out.

Gene70

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: need a Volvo 270 part, Got one?

I have plenty of these parts. Will sell you a like new one for $140.00 plus freight. This must be properly shimmed. I have new shims also. When you get down to the shims I recommend you use a digital micrometer to check original shim thickness. That way you will know what size new ones you need. You also need to replace your seals and o-rings. I also have all these parts. I have over 40 years accumulation of new and used parts. If you want to talk about this you can call me at 1-800-949-2189

johnkc

Petty Officer 1st Class

f-in,not sure wich part you are looking for, is it the top of the upper gear box or the steering yoke that bolts to the helmut?

f_inscreenname

Commander

The "steering yoke" that the helmet bolts to. In the book (my second bible) it is listed as a clamp ring. The helmet has a big chrome plated bolt that goes through it and screws into the outdrive. I need that piece of the outdrive that the screw goes into. <br />After reading Gene70's post I think I will be hunting e-bay for a whole drive. A buck forty plus shipping for a small "alum ring" for a thirty one year old, five hundred dollar outdrive sounds a little steep. I just saw a top end go for $95.00. Wont have to worry shims and a digital micrometer. A little to deep for this back yard mechanic.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Hi f_inscreenname,<br /><br /> I agree with you that seems to be quiet steep for a part that has been laying around for a long time. Best bet is call up Gene70 and make an offer. If he doesn't bite, then let all those spares keep laying there. Personnally I would try to tap it out to 1/2 or 3/4 pipe thread, then put a pipe plug in the hole that you tapped in your clamp. Use a good thread locker that is suitable for brass to aluminum. Then drill a hole in the center of the pipe plug (stainless would be nice, but brass will work) and tap it out to the desired threads that you need. If you gotta replace it anyway, you can't do much more harm than take a chance on a good solid repair. <br /><br />Some may not agree to this but it is something I would try first before buying a replacement.<br /><br />Good Luck ......SS

charleswmoore

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have an upper gear box assembly off a 280 outdrive. The gear set is toast but I believe the housing is okay. It is the newer version that<br />uses the updated steering pin that has a large 1"<br />stud with two 5/16" screws that eliminate the <br />problem of these unswrewing and you loose steering. If you go to this model you will need to replace steeering yoke also? I your interested<br />I will drag it out and look at it in more detail.<br />contact me back. <br />charleswmoore@usa.net

f_inscreenname

Commander

Thanks but I think I don't want to change it that much (I have the single bolt). I don't know weather my 270's upper gear box assembly would work right in a 280's housing. Anyone know? Would it matter weather it came off a 8,6 or 4 cylinder motor or are all top ends the same? Then there is the whole shimming thing. I think I will just patch it together till I run across a 270 for a deal. When you are not looking that's when they fall in your lap.

charleswmoore

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey F_in<br /> I looked it is there and I believe that when you price the bolt you'll want the rest.

charleswmoore

Petty Officer 2nd Class

also i think the only difference between the two is the 280 was power hydraulic trim versus mechanical.?

f_inscreenname

Commander

Like I said I think I will try to fix it first. I don't want have to change the steering yoke and deal with the shimming process. I will keep your e-mail address if it doesn't work. Thanks Again Mark